Lens Decision

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jacksun0426, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jacksun0426

jacksun0426 TPF Noob!

Hi all, I just purchased my first DSLR and decided on the Nikon D60 which came with the 18-55mm standard lens. I am pursuing Macro photography, and I am trying to decide on what lens to get, with my limited budget.

I am looking at the following 2 lenses:
    Nikon Zoom Normal - Telephoto 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX
    Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus

I am trying to keep the price below 250.00 if possibe, below 200.00 would be nice, but not likely realistic.

My previous experience is with the Minolta XG1, which I still have complete with 28mm, 50mm, 200mm zoom, 2x converter, macro filters, power winder, tripod, and power flash with diffusion filters.

Any feedback, comments, or recommendations on the above lenses, or any others which would be more appropriate (even if more expensive) would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Wayne

Here is a basic shot with my new equipment:

bob_1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. artoledo

artoledo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    No matter what kind of photography you get into, lenses are one thing you dont want to go cheap on. You will regret it later. Save save save..... and get yourself a lens you will really enjoy.

3. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In other words, the normal telephoto 55-200mm is not a macro lens, and has a horrible minimum focus distance.

Plan on spending at least $400 - 1000 on a good quality macro lens.

4. jacksun0426

jacksun0426 TPF Noob!

Ok, lenses are a whole different ballgame now, I bought my last lens in 1986 :x.

There are a lot to choose from, maybe I can convince the wife I need to spend more, what would you recommend assuming a budget below $1,000?

Wayne

5. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG seems to get pretty good reviews. It's manual focus on the D60 (or that's what it seems from Amazon reviews) but I don't think that'd be a big deal for macro.

Seems as though it can be gotten for $400-500. Much better than the $850-950 for the Nikon equiv.

6. harrison

harrison TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am in the process of selling my Nikkor 105mm AF f/2.8D on ebay, and have the sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX coming in today. I can give you a comparison of the two once I take some pictures with both tonight.