Lens - Defective?

Webby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a relatively new 11/08 Canon D40 with a Canon 28-135mm f3? I purchased them as a kit. When the lens is at it's retracted? position the end of it can be moved back and forth about 1/8 of an inch. It seems to have excessive play in it. When I have it zoomed, the play at the end of the lens is minimal. Also when I hold the camera with the lens pointing down, the lens falls or zooms on its own.

Is this normal for this type of lens?

I have the 17-85mm and it does the same thing when it is pointed down. I think this is probably normal for these types of lenses. Some of the higher end zoom lenses will be entirely internal and the length of the lens will not change. Some, such as the 70-300mm, have a lock on them to keep the lens from extending when it is pointed downward.

Does your lens also have the "play" in it when it is retracted?

No, mine seems pretty stable. I guess it’s possible that it could be defective. Maybe there is someone with your same lens who could tell you what theirs is like. It sounds as if there could possibly be something wrong with your lens; I don't think it’s normal for the lens to move that much, but then again I've never used that lens so I can say for sure. My only guess is that it is not good if your lens wobbles.

Not sure about the play issue when retracted. But the lens moving out when tilted down, or retracting in while pointing up is called lens creep. Normally found in the less expensive lenses. If its just a slow creep its probably normal. But if it creeps out fairly quickly you might want to send it in.

I had a Sigma 170-500 that had bad lens creep. After having it for about 6 months and not liking it. I ended up selling it for about half of what I paid. Should have sent it back when I first noticed it. But procastinated on it, until after it was too late to return. :er:

Last edited:
My EF 28-135 mm IS lens also has the lens creep problem. I do not believe your lens is broken.

As others have said, the lense creep is normal on that lense. The one I had also had the play in the barrel where it extended, but it worked fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back