Lens Diffraction on full frame vs crop

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before I bought the D610 I was doing research on the benefits of full frame over crop sensors and one of the things that was noted was diffraction occurred at a smaller aperture on full frame than on crop sensor.

The only reason I could think of is full frame sensors have larger pixels.

Is there any truth to this? Thought it would be a great discussion.

From the above linked article

"... Are smaller pixels somehow worse? Not necessarily. Just because the diffraction limit has been reached (with large pixels) does not necessarily mean an image is any worse than if smaller pixels had been used (and the limit was surpassed); both scenarios still have the same total resolution (even though the smaller pixels produce a larger file). However, the camera with the smaller pixels will render the photo with fewer artifacts (such as color moir� and aliasing). Smaller pixels also give more creative flexibility, since these can yield a higher resolution if using a larger aperture is possible (such as when the depth of field can be shallow). On the other hand, when other factors such as noise and dynamic range are considered, the "small vs. large" pixels debate becomes more complicated..."

Thank you Keith for posting that link. A very informative article.

I have used a webpage that lets you select your camera body and f-stop and it tells you if you are reaching diffraction. Will have to watch the video.

Most reactions

Back