Lens(es) for Nikon D5100, sports enthusiast

I'm going to get shunned for reccomending this, but dude, look into an 18-200VR. It's not gonna be the best at night, but during the day, on snow, itll be plenty fast enough. Plus it isn't ridiculously huge. Buy a used one so you dont lose money on it when you sell it. And you will sell it as you outgrow it, but that's part of photography. As long as you get a used one it won't cost you much in the long run. You shoot with it for a few months, or a winter, then get a feel for where in the zoom range you shoot the most, and choose your next, more professional lens accordingly.

I know for sure I want a nice wide angle, i'm looking at the 10-20 sigma for a purchase after christmas. When I go on my trip to Vail and Breckenridge CO. That lens will come in handy for sure.

for specialty lenses such as ultra wides, always check the used market first- you will save money and be just as happy.

p!nK

I bought my camera off eBay, and that is where I am searching for the lenses right now.

Get a Nifty 50mm f/1.8 to start. It is a very handy lens. I also use the wide tokina lens mentioned and love it for landscapes but I cannot imagine it being used for action/ sports photos regularly.

FYI, the tokina 11-16 won't AF on a D5100.

Well, I meant like the different kinds of lenses are confusing me now. But I really would like to have a variety of shots, I love the wide angle look, but I also like the zoomed in look on the rider.

You are in good company. Lenses are confusing at first!
Here is one good explanation of lenses: Understanding Camera Lenses

I'd say from what you have said you'll want a fairly wide angle and a moderate zoom.

Your 18-55 is a basic wide angle to "normal." Zoom is beyond that. Your camera has a crop factor that makes the 50mm a little bit of a zoom, but I won't get into that and confuse you more now. Do you need to get closer than your 18-55 or do you need to have a wider view?

A wider view, I'm playing with it now and it'll need to be wider

Since Destin mention that 18-200VR lens...what do you guys think of that one for what I want to do?

Its not going to be any wider than your 18-55.

Alright, thanks a lot. I just bought a 10-20 off eBay, I can't wait to go shoot with it.

Most reactions

Back