Lens fell off camera?!?

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had this happen to me once. Luckily my hood was on. The 70-200 fell of the 5D Mk2 as I was walking. Nothing broke! So now I'm always scared about walking with my lens on the camera. One thing I noticed is that when I put the lens on and I move it back and forth, it moves a little, not like solid. It's very minor. I tested it and it hasn't happened again.

If feels more solid when I put it on my T1i though. How is the fitting w/ your camera? Is this normal?

Then I saw this! http://www.prophotoshow.net/2009/05/18/canon-5d-mk2-lens-falling-off-problem/

I've never had this happen with only lens and camera........but I have had it happen when I had my full setup of D90, 1.4TC, all three extension tubes, Tamron 180mm w/ the flash hanging off the lens. I think I bumped one of the 5-6 releases down the line and the weight caused it to spin off....luckily I was sitting and it fell in my lap, but scary nonetheless.

Well this is when my lens was sent to Canon. Not sure if you guys remember the thread but I didn't want to post "my lens fell off" as it was in the dealer. Just to be on the safe side, you never know who's reading what and where they work. Basically I read it happened to people before and Canon didn't own up to it. Luckily my hood was on and it fell straight on the hood. No physical damage but it did disconnect my focusing ring. Telling Canon that would be stupid because they'd say "that's your fault". Since then I am always babying that lens. Got insurance on my gear now but still, this is not cool. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else here. Just be careful.

Well this is when my lens was sent to Canon. Not sure if you guys remember the thread but I didn't want to post "my lens fell off" as it was in the dealer. Just to be on the safe side, you never know who's reading what and where they work. Basically I read it happened to people before and Canon didn't own up to it. Luckily my hood was on and it fell straight on the hood. No physical damage but it did disconnect my focusing ring. Telling Canon that would be stupid because they'd say "that's your fault". Since then I am always babying that lens. Got insurance on my gear now but still, this is not cool. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else here. Just be careful.

Yeah, for such an expensive body and lens I would expect a little better fit. You shouldn't have to be worried about your stuff falling apart when walking around with a 5k body/lens setup.

Yeah, for such an expensive body and lens I would expect a little better fit. You shouldn't have to be worried about your stuff falling apart when walking around with a 5k body/lens setup.

Which is why I ended up buying the Think Tank belt system so I can put the camera in the pouch as I'm walking around. LOL I had to put this pic up (google search). I thought you'd enjoy this more than a pic of me wearing the belt :lol: But you get the point!

http://ronmart.smugmug.com/Blog/Reviews/TTP-Digital-Holster-57a/1101055454_jZHe5-L.jpg

Flickr: Discussing lens fell off 5dmII in Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

Seems like this is one of Canon's ergonomic design features....easy, unexpected lens releases (onto concrete, mud, whatever).

Derrel, normally there are times that you have well thought out and informative posts. But please, this time, just stop.

The release buttons on both Nikon and Camera are only a fraction of an inch from each other (roughly), and there have been reports of lenses falling off D3's as well.

Please, I understand you have some kind of personal vendetta against Canon for whatever reason, just don't be a silly ninny when it comes to this stuff, because it's inaccurate.

D3 fell off my 24-70: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

A walk around ALOT with my canon
Ive never even had it get loose, or anything, never heard of this ?
I even have trouble getting my lens off myself haha

yeah i was thinking this wasn't a common thing but certainly has been addressed before after doing some research.

Remember the last big one? The auto focus debacle with the EOS 1D MKIII back in 2007/2008? Canon to fix EOS 1D Mark III auto-focus problem | Ask the Photographer

Canon lost a lot of pro shooters over that one.

Looks like it's time for Canon to change mounts.... again ! The EF-mount is long overdue for a change anyway, based on Canon history. ;)

They have had the:
  1. R-mount (pre-1964)
  2. FL-mount (1964)
  3. FD-mount (1971)
  4. EF-mount (1987)
  5. EF-S-mount (2003)

The next Canon mount will be called EF-This

Looks like it's time for Canon to change mounts.... again ! The EF-mount is long overdue for a change anyway, based on Canon history. ;)

I hope not! Can't afford to buy replacement lenses

Which is why I ended up buying the Think Tank belt system so I can put the camera in the pouch as I'm walking around. LOL I had to put this pic up (google search). I thought you'd enjoy this more than a pic of me wearing the belt :lol: But you get the point!

http://ronmart.smugmug.com/Blog/Reviews/TTP-Digital-Holster-57a/1101055454_jZHe5-L.jpg

Good idea and great picture....but I don't see the camera pouch in the link you pictured..:lol:

Flickr: Discussing lens fell off 5dmII in Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

Seems like this is one of Canon's ergonomic design features....easy, unexpected lens releases (onto concrete, mud, whatever).

Derrel, normally there are times that you have well thought out and informative posts. But please, this time, just stop.

The release buttons on both Nikon and Camera are only a fraction of an inch from each other (roughly), and there have been reports of lenses falling off D3's as well.

Please, I understand you have some kind of personal vendetta against Canon for whatever reason, just don't be a silly ninny when it comes to this stuff, because it's inaccurate.

D3 fell off my 24-70: Nikon D3 - D1 / D700 Forum: Digital Photography Review

Smoke another bowl dude. It's HILARIOUS...Canon 5D users with lenses dropping off their bodies!!! Come on...that's hilarious!!!

I have over $10,000 worth of Canon equipment..my main camera is a Canon 5D and a 70-200 and a 24-105-L...so, have a few more bong hits dude...enjoy....relax a little, un-bunch your panties...see the humor in life man...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back