Lens fell off camera?!?

I've had this happen to me once. Luckily my hood was on. The 70-200 fell of the 5D Mk2 as I was walking. Nothing broke! So now I'm always scared about walking with my lens on the camera. One thing I noticed is that when I put the lens on and I move it back and forth, it moves a little, not like solid. It's very minor. I tested it and it hasn't happened again.

If feels more solid when I put it on my T1i though. How is the fitting w/ your camera? Is this normal?

Then I saw this! Canon Lenses Are FALLING Off 5D MK2 & More (Updated).

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine. The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it. I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off. Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance on mkii's.
This is definitely a design flaw. It's not user error. The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release or have a detent position.
It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera. Be forewarned.
Gaffer tape the lens to the camera? LOL!! What a total hoot! This HAS to be an Onion-type post, or it's invented by Nikon trolls, or the NOOBS it's happening to have NO IDEA of the proper way to hold and use a camera.

Good grief, the crazy schitt you find on the intertubes!!! :lol:

I own a Canon 60D and with the kit 18-200, which is a pretty heavy lens. Maybe it's just the 5D mkII, but i have never had a problem with the lens falling off. When the lens is attached, there is no play what so ever. It's solid.

The lens release button is in great location; close enough to change lenses when you need to, but out of the way enough to prevent accidental release. Maybe it's a design flaw with the 5D mkII, but if the release button is so in the way that you acciddentally let your lens go, I think you should stop using the camera, as well as quitting driving.

It's not a flaw in the 5DMKII. I own that, plus 7D, 40D and had a 20D. They're all the same as far as where the lens release button is located, how it operates, how the bayonet mount works, and how the lenses did NOT fall off, nor seem to have any chance of falling off unless the user has their head up their butt.

You wanna talk about heavy lenses?

lensOuncesgrams
18-20021.2600
500mm f/4 FD922610
100-400 L481360
Sigma 180mm34965
70-200 f/4 IS26.8759

I own and use all 4 bottom lenses, plus others, plus 1.4x and 2x extenders - no problems - not once, not ever. It's all bull.

Most reactions

Back