Lens Filters

I believe a good, high-quality Uv filter offers protection mostly against dust. It's easier to clean the filter than the lens. It's better to keep the lens clean by preventing exposure to dust than to clean it constantly. In some cases, there is some increase in flare. If so, just remove the filter for a short while. Good quality filters (Leica filters for Leica cameras, for instance) are superb.

Owning a Leica makes you a Leica owner, not a photographer.

In what way is it easier to clean a filter than the actual lens? Does it really take less time? Does a filter attract less dust than the lens? If not, why would you not be cleaning the filter as often as you would the lens?

I don't know where you live but, in my area , a $3 blower thingy is all I need to get rid of dust.

Boom,

I use to protect all of my glass with filters because my local camera store told me to do so..........and they charge $$$ for filters. I've tried cheap Best Buy filters and they such @ss........so in the past I've spent up to $130 on "good filters" to protect my glass. Since I shoot mostly nature shots in the woods on on the beach I knew I needed to protect my glass........until I learned how to carry my gear.

Now I always keep a hood on my lens and I don't run at pointy objects :) For my past 20,000+ shutter releases my glass is in perfect condition without useless (IMO) UV filters.

Also, by keeping my glass away from blowing sand and junk I don't have to clean my glass as often. If you think about it, a lens hood gives you 1.5-3" of protection before an object can hurt your glass. Plus take a look at what a smashed front element can still shoot LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches <---wish I could remember who posted this link here to give them credit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back