Lens Fitment ???

snyderes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon 4004s 35mm camera. I want to buy a new DSLR, perhaps a Nikon D7200. Will my lenses from the 4004s fit the D7200? I have several lenses and it would be nice if they would fit....

thanks

Yes. A 7xxx series body will be needed if your lenses do not have a built in focus motor.

If the 4004s is 35mm, you might want to look at a d610 or d750, rather than a d7200. This will just depend on your expectations. The d7200 is a crop sensor, so your lenses will behave differently (more depth of field, longer length).

I agree with @PaulWog.

If you are use to the 35mm film then getting a D610 or D750 would be logical. Any lenses you have for the 4004s will work on any Nikon DSLR. If it's a AF-D lens, it will only focus on the bodies with a focus motor. Like a D7200, D610, D810, etc. They will still work on a entry level bodies like a D3300 or D5500, but will have no auto focus.

What lenses do you have?

I agree with @PaulWog.

If you are use to the 35mm film then getting a D610 or D750 would be logical. Any lenses you have for the 4004s will work on any Nikon DSLR. If it's a AF-D lens, it will only focus on the bodies with a focus motor. Like a D7200, D610, D810, etc. They will still work on a entry level bodies like a D3300 or D5500, but will have no auto focus.

What lenses do you have?
I have a 1:28, and a 75-300mm. I am a definite newbie here. Maybe I should just get new lenses too. I always enjoyed my 4004s, but I have gotten away from taking pictures for a while. I just went to my local camera shop ( that isn't there anymore) and bought it because its the one the owner told me to buy. I have a Kodak point & shoot, but just want something a little better. I want to buy a good camera. Something that in a year or so I dont regret buying a better one. Any help would be appreciated

I have a 1:28, and a 75-300mm. I am a definite newbie here. Maybe I should just get new lenses too. I always enjoyed my 4004s, but I have gotten away from taking pictures for a while. I just went to my local camera shop ( that isn't there anymore) and bought it because its the one the owner told me to buy. I have a Kodak point & shoot, but just want something a little better. I want to buy a good camera. Something that in a year or so I dont regret buying a better one. Any help would be appreciated

Likely you will be best off getting new lenses alongside your new DSLR.

There's lots you will have to think about when going digital. First and foremost: Will you be shooting in RAW, or Jpeg, or both? Think of RAW like a digital negative, and then some. You can modify a lot with a RAW file, but you pretty much need to subscribe to Adobe Lightroom, and you need to learn how to use that software (there are alternatives, but that's the industry standard & really the best go-to software for a hobbyist as well). Jpeg straight out of the camera means your camera will make a lot of decisions for you, but your image will be processed right away inside the camera with much less need to edit on the computer.

Next, you need to figure out your budget. A full frame camera like the D750 is $2000 USD, and it's not something you'll feel the need to upgrade from a year from now. Another full frame option is the D610, at $1500 new. However, it's $2000 or $1500 just for the DSLR, and then you're looking at a similar amount for lenses. You could go with a crop sensor camera like the D7200, or D7100, and you'll be paying a bit less for the body, and a bit less for crop sensor lenses. If you were already resolved to spend $1200 on a camera body alone (with a separate budget for lenses), to any friend I would personally say just step it up and get the D610.

If you want to approach this whole thing from a less stressful position, set a budget first, and you can get a ton of help on this forum with buying advice. If you want to stress yourself out a little more, don't set a budget, and go research full frame vs. crop sensor (the short of it is expensive vs. less expensive, and full frame performs better in low light by up to 2 stops -- in the case of D7200 vs. D610, probably 1 to 1.25 stops, full frame is capable of producing a shallower depth of field, and crop sensors have a crop factor of 1.5x, so any lens is actually 1.5x the mm for the focal length... ie. your 75-300 would behave like a ~140-450mm, but produce less croppable images due to crop sensors only using part of the glass).

To sum it up: Keep it simple, set out your expectations and what you want, set out a budget, and go from there. That's my recommendation.

Last edited:

Likely you will be best off getting new lenses alongside your new DSLR.

There's lots you will have to think about when going digital. First and foremost: Will you be shooting in RAW, or Jpeg, or both? Think of RAW like a digital negative, and then some. You can modify a lot with a RAW file, but you pretty much need to subscribe to Adobe Lightroom, and you need to learn how to use that software (there are alternatives, but that's the industry standard & really the best go-to software for a hobbyist as well). Jpeg straight out of the camera means your camera will make a lot of decisions for you, but your image will be processed right away inside the camera with much less need to edit on the computer.

Next, you need to figure out your budget. A full frame camera like the D750 is $2000 USD, and it's not something you'll feel the need to upgrade from a year from now. Another full frame option is the D610, at $1500 new. However, it's $2000 or $1500 just for the DSLR, and then you're looking at a similar amount for lenses. You could go with a crop sensor camera like the D7200, or D7100, and you'll be paying a bit less for the body, and a bit less for crop sensor lenses. If you were already resolved to spend $1200 on a camera body alone (with a separate budget for lenses), to any friend I would personally say just step it up and get the D610.

If you want to approach this whole thing from a less stressful position, set a budget first, and you can get a ton of help on this forum with buying advice. If you want to stress yourself out a little more, don't set a budget, and go research full frame vs. crop sensor (the short of it is expensive vs. less expensive, and full frame performs better in low light by up to 2 stops -- in the case of D7200 vs. D610, probably 1 to 1.25 stops, full frame is capable of producing a shallower depth of field, and crop sensors have a crop factor of 1.5x, so any lens is actually 1.5x the mm for the focal length... ie. your 75-300 would behave like a ~140-450mm, but produce less croppable images due to crop sensors only using part of the glass).

To sum it up: Keep it simple, set out your expectations and what you want, set out a budget, and go from there. That's my recommendation.

Thank You.... I actually found a D750 on Amazon for around $1600.... I dont mind spending that much, and as far as lenses I can start out with 1 or 2 and add more later as I learn more about what I want. I live in western Pa., have a camp in the mountains of Pa. I will be taking pictures of wildlife mainly and family events. I even would like to get a good photo printer and print some of my own stuff too.

Thank You.... I actually found a D750 on Amazon for around $1600.... I dont mind spending that much, and as far as lenses I can start out with 1 or 2 and add more later as I learn more about what I want. I live in western Pa., have a camp in the mountains of Pa. I will be taking pictures of wildlife mainly and family events. I even would like to get a good photo printer and print some of my own stuff too.

At 1600, make sure it's not grey market. The difference between grey market and nikon approved reseller is that you won't get a warranty, and you don't know where it came from.

The d750 is an amazing camera to start with (or work professionally even).

Last edited:
I had a 75-300 AF lens and other than it being heavy metal construction and have the old slow AF mechanics it was a good lens. In some comparison reviews I've read it's optically better than the newest 70-300 VRII.

I sold my 75-300 and went to a new 70-300VRII. I wish I kept the 75-300 even though the mechanical focusing was very slow.

I used it with a d7000 and d600. The d7x00 and FF cameras are designed to be used with older lenses to (in body focusing motor) so don't worry about using older lenses.

I assumed your 28mm is a 28/2.8 AF lens? Those are still good too.
I'd say with your new body stick with your current lenses until you get your skills up to snuff with the digital age. Then maybe look at upgrading your lenses.

At 1600, make sure it's not grey market. The difference between grey market and nikon approved reseller is that you won't get a warranty, and you don't know where it came from.

The d750 is an amazing camera to start with (or work professionally even).

I did look again , and the D750 is used. I didnt notice that before. I will probably pass on that and opt for a new one. Thanks

I had a 75-300 AF lens and other than it being heavy metal construction and have the old slow AF mechanics it was a good lens. In some comparison reviews I've read it's optically better than the newest 70-300 VRII.

I sold my 75-300 and went to a new 70-300VRII. I wish I kept the 75-300 even though the mechanical focusing was very slow.

I used it with a d7000 and d600. The d7x00 and FF cameras are designed to be used with older lenses to (in body focusing motor) so don't worry about using older lenses.

I'd say with your new body stick with your current lenses until you get your skills up to snuff with the digital age. Then maybe look at upgrading your lenses.

Thank You.... I appreciate any advice I can get... I will probably do just as you suggested.

Thank You.... I appreciate any advice I can get... I will probably do just as you suggested.

Is there a place that anyone would recommend buying a new Nikon ? I went and looked a few days ago at Best Buy which is about 45 minutes from my house, and the guy in there knew very little about them. Amazon, Ritz, Tiger Direct ???

There were some good Nikkor lenses on the market back in the 4004 days....what lenses do you have? "some" might be worth migrating forward.

Is there a place that anyone would recommend buying a new Nikon ? I went and looked a few days ago at Best Buy which is about 45 minutes from my house, and the guy in there knew very little about them. Amazon, Ritz, Tiger Direct ???

local camera stores
or BestBuy

adorama.com
keh.com
bhphotovideo.com
cameta.com

they also all sell refurbished cameras

be careful with Amazon, because it comes from a variety of potential sellers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back