Lens flare....do we love it? Do we hate it?

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is an infrared shot from my beach trip last weekend, taken right at sunset. The flare is smaller but more intense on the left of the image, much larger but faint on the right. A bit of a puke scan job, sorry! There is actually nicer shadow detail in the print.

Input, please? I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

3387345523232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3232%3E448%3E374%3E23234484653%3C%3Bot1lsi

how the heck did you manage lens flare there? lol..you kill me.

if the flare were at the typical corner, i think it'd be pretty darned cool. the shot is swell, but the flare at its current location; meh.

i see great detail in the shadows on my monitor. nice work seeing this and exposing it.

lens hood - $5.99
paper wasted trying to burn in - $15.00
sanity - priceless

wooooooooooohhhhOOOOO!

hee hee..... I've no flippin' idea. I prefer to blame it all on the idio-idio-idiosyncasies of that blasted HIE film. I bracketed this shot, feet firmly in place, and have others (terrible exposures btw) sandwiched around this negative with NO lens flare. :scratch:

That being said.... I think I'm starting to dig it. The more I study it. It's weird. It has no business being there. But there it is, flipping me off.

An image with an attitude...... go figure. :goodvibe:

i can learn to love it.

==============

damn.

*looks up into bottle*

clink. CLINK CLINK.

clink.

(f*ck, empty.)

i can learn to love it. tomorrow.

:)

:lmao:

I'm so glad you enjoyed your beaujolais tonight! (And here's hoping I spelled that right.....)

I know you'll be astounded and amazed by this infrared image with its unique lens flare, first thing in the morning! :sun: And you'll beat a path here to tell me so.

:yawns, stretches:

yeah. Mornin'. This image does totally kick ass, doesn't it?

Just a matter of time.

:LOL:

Terri you took this with a wide-angle lens? I have had is same problem when I use my 18mm wide-angle. I use my cap to block sun with one hand and hold the camera with the other

Yep - I used a 20mm, Jeff. Like I mentioned, there are 2 other negatives of this image while I bracketed, standing in the same spot - this is the middle of the 3.

I would have sworn both camera and I were IN SHADOW when I took the shot.... it didn't occur to me to shade the lens at all.

So the result is, this image really took me by surprise! This film usually contains at least one surprise on every roll.

Jeff, you never gave a thumbs up or thumbs down on what the flare does for you, and I'm curious!

All lens flare should be created equal: by accident. I have seen lens flare put in a photo in Photoshop. Now I know I'll never buy Photoshop at any price.

dlc said:
All lens flare should be created equal: by accident. I have seen lens flare put in a photo in Photoshop. Now I know I'll never buy Photoshop at any price.

you'll never buy photoshop just cos it does crappy lens flares? :? you don't ever have to use that filter you know.. i know i never will but i use the proramme for many more reasons...

Ditto here. PS is an amazing tool, but it can be exploited like anything else. I'd never even think to put a lens flare in...what's the point, especially if the general consensus is that flare = flaw?

I need PS for digitally correcting photos given to me for restoration purposes. It's invaluable. If people want me to add color, I'm going to at least do it by hand for them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back