Lens/Flash question

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by hsmom, Jul 20, 2008.

1. hsmom

hsmom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    After doing a bit of research, I'm still utterly unsure of what I need :lol:

So here's the senario:

I am looking for a lens that will be good for taking nice (read posed) pictures of my kids indoors and candid shots outdoors. (So far the indoor shots, especially later in the day, are nothing to write home about. ) The lens would also be used as a walk around lens during vacation next year.

So, assuming my budget is around $400, which of these choices would be the best option?

50mm f/1.4 for around $360

or

50mm f/1.8 for $90 plus 430EX speedlite flash for $240

Or am I way off base to think the 50mm would be the right choice?

I would be greatful for any advice :)

2. Zansho

Zansho TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would grab a Tamron 24-70 2.8 lens. Fast aperture, good focal length, and makes a good everyday walkaround lens. I'd sell the kit lens and get the Tamron.

If you need any convincing, this was shot with my Tamron, back before I replaced it with my Canon 24-70:

[​IMG]

If you're dead set on getting the lens and flash, I suppose the 50mm 1.8 and the flash would be a good deal. One thing I caution you about the 50mm 1.8, is that it has a horrible time autofocusing, and focusing it manually is a major pain in the arse. It's a good lens - very sharp, but you really have to coax the performance out of it.

3. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Kids + Dad/Mom + Camera = Zoom lens. :D

But you already have the 18-55mm and the EF 75-300mm so just buy a real nice flash!