Lens for AF Nikon

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So finally I made the decission: I will forget about my Nikon AF 35-70 f3.3/4.5 and buy a new lens for the N8008s. That 35-70, which came with the camera, is not satisfactory and I want something that gives me better images.

What do you suggest? Keep in mind that my budget is really low (around $50) and, of course, I will buy second hand. Any opinions?

My first option would be a Nikon 50 f1.4, but with this budget... :lol:

So I'm thinking that maybe I could get another zoom, after all. I've read that Sigma 28-70 is quite good, and definitely affordable.

Do you know some good option? Some good affordable 50mm, or maybe some zoom like this Sigma?

I really liked the versatility of my 35-70, but the images it gives I don't like.

I'll follow your suggestions :hail:

A Nikon 50mm f1.8 would probably be superior to both of those zooms and cheaper than a 1.4. The difference between the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8 is not massive really and some opinion favours the sharpness of the higher f numbers on the Nikon primes. You might be able to get one for around $50 - I know they can be had in the UK for £50 (if you search) and the US is normally a bit cheaper. I haven't ever seen a good image printed from a cheap Sigma lens, but they are popular for those on a budget.

I'll agree with all the previous comments. Keep your eyes open at pawn shops or ebay and get the 50mm 1.8. You'd be much happier with that lens than the Sigma. Even if it means going a little over budget.

Ive got the 5omm 1.4. SWEET. Although I admit I almost never use it after I bought the 55mm Micro. If you can, hold out for it, otherwise follow the previous advise and settle for the 1.8.

Thanks
I'll probably try to get the 50mm 1.8, maybe expending a little more. I've read that fixed f-stop zooms are really good (as the 35-70 1:2.8 ), but that definitely goes far above my budget -again.
I just had thought that other brands could have some good product to offer (there is, for example, a fixed f-stop Tokina 28-80 1:2.8 on which I've read good comments), but I begin to see that a 50mm is definitely the best. And you all agree on that.
I had always relied on a 50mm to start with, but this being my only AF body and given the prices of good AF lenses, I thought that the best thing was to get a zoom on this range and forget about more lenses (that means not being able to shot below 35mm and above 70mm!!! :x ). But... I see it's time to change my mind about it. The 50mm 1.8 will definitely be my target -unless some miracle happens to offer me a good zoom for that money :lol:

I think you'll be very pleased with your decision, and you'll also have something with a decent re-sale value - although I'd bet you never sell it!!

Most reactions

Back