Lens for architecture

people please forgive me being christmas-silly today. :)

Alex_B said:
:) :) :) :) :) yes I want it! ;)

as for now i do the corrections using software... which can be a pain sometimes ...

BTW, fmw, also Canon did not take care of the wide angle end of prime lenses ... there are some, but none of them is really convincing to me .... :(

I assume that fixed lenses are probably a small part of lens sales these days. The 12-24 zoom is really all that they offer and it is acceptable but hardly outstanding. I'd like high quality fixed rectilinear wide angles in 10, 15 and 20mm focal lengths for digital sensors. The fact that they haven't offered anything like that leaves some question about where they are headed. 35mm sized sensors, perhaps? Who knows.

fmw said:
I assume that fixed lenses are probably a small part of lens sales these days. The 12-24 zoom is really all that they offer and it is acceptable but hardly outstanding. I'd like high quality fixed rectilinear wide angles in 10, 15 and 20mm focal lengths for digital sensors. The fact that they haven't offered anything like that leaves some question about where they are headed. 35mm sized sensors, perhaps? Who knows.

I have a 35mm sized sensor ... still I'd love a say 12mm and an 18mm prime of such quality.

But maybe it is just that the market at the tele end is so much larger... I do not know many people who like to shoot really wide angle a lot. The average customer seems to be more into close-ups and tele-shots of animals and whatever.

oh, and by the way, canon has some nice tilt and shift lenses I have an eye on ... and there we are, almost back to the bellows ;)

Alex_B said:
I have a 35mm sized sensor ... still I'd love a say 12mm and an 18mm prime of such quality.

But maybe it is just that the market at the tele end is so much larger... I do not know many people who like to shoot really wide angle a lot. The average customer seems to be more into close-ups and tele-shots of animals and whatever.

Then you have no problems with wide angle. When I shot 35mm I had fixed wide angles of 14, 18, 24, 35 mm. I also had a 16mm full frame fisheye. I love wide angle photography. I use WA lenses more than telephoto. I carry the 12-24 f4 Nikkor zoom as my standard lens.

Alex_B said:
oh, and by the way, canon has some nice tilt and shift lenses I have an eye on ... and there we are, almost back to the bellows ;)

Not at all. Tilt/shift lenses focus all the way to infinity, unlike bellows. I had a 28mm PC Nikkor which is a shift lens (no tilt.) It was a fine piece of optics but preset so there was no aperture indexing or auto exposure.

fmw said:
Then you have no problems with wide angle. When I shot 35mm I had fixed wide angles of 14, 18, 24, 35 mm. I also had a 16mm full frame fisheye. I love wide angle photography. I use WA lenses more than telephoto. I carry the 12-24 f4 Nikkor zoom as my standard lens.

I have no serious problem, true, but I wish there were better canon L-primes in that regime.

there are also some third party fully manual primes, but i never tried to use any of those.

at the moment I only use a 17-40 mm 1:4 zoom, which serves me well. just i havent found that perfect prime for myself yet ;)

fmw said:
Not at all. Tilt/shift lenses focus all the way to infinity, unlike bellows.

ok, true ... I was just trying to be nostalgic, but you are right there!

hmm, well, maybe next year's christmas will bring me a T&S :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back