Lens for D70S

dsp921

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a Nikon D70S with the 18 - 70 kit lens and I am looking for a zoom, 70 - 300 most likely. I've seen two Nikon lenses, a 70 - 300 G and a 70 - 300 ED. The ED is about twice the price of the G version. Quantaray also has one that I've heard is a decent lens. Anyone have opinions on what to get for the D70S? I'll be using it for snapshots at first while I work my way into taking photographs...
I'm OK with spending money as long as the lens is worth it.

Thanks

Hi. First, you are gonig to love your new D70! Great camera. Second, the Quantaray is just a Sigma rebranded. I am not a big fan of Sigma lenses, but a lot of people like them. The big difference between the two Nikkor lenses you mention is 1) the ED has what Nikon calls "Extra Low Dispersion" glass. That is an element or a series of elements that are made of a special glass that make a big difference in color and sharpness of the image. It is a noticable improvement in picture quality. 2) The G lens is called that because it lacks a aperture ring. Nikon has a series of lenses they call "G", mostly but not all are lower priced consumer grade lenses that lack the ring, this prevents there use on older camera bodies that do not have the aperture thumbwheel on the camera body. I have the ED version of this lens, look in my gallery to see examples of some shots with this lens. Here is one such example:

Thanks for the information. I decide to get the 'G' version based on what I read on Ken Rockwell's website. He suspects the optics are the same for both lenses and the 'G' is half the price. I figured for $150 I could check it out with little risk. I only had the chance to take a few test shots so far, but I think it will suit my needs for a little while. If I know me I'll end up with a VR lens eventually.
Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back