Lens for EOS 300... for around £40...

ssgv2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok , so my dad has decided to nick MY lens for his EOS 5 now i cant do anything with my camera. I only have £40-70 to play with and i cant afford to wait since i need it for a GCSE type thing, so if anyone can give any suggestions that would be great!

Edit: its Film not digital, people were getting confuzzeld.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Digital Matt said:
I second the 50mm f/1.8. Don't mess around with that junky EF-S lens.

Just curious what makes the ef-s lens junky compared to other options.

Just curious what makes the ef-s lens junky compared to other options.

EF-S lenses generally aren't junky...but the 18-55 lens is. It's the kit lens that usually comes with DSLR cameras. It's made to be light and cheap. For the price, it's not really a bad lens...but there are many better options.

Also, as mentioned....it's for digital APS-C DSLR cameras only...not film cameras.

It's like the 22mm-55mm that came with the Canon film APS camera. The build on the 50mm/f1.8 is the same (cheap, plastic, etc), but since it's a prime, it's still pretty good optically. It doesn't have to make the compromises that a cheap zoom does.

the 50mm F1.8 is not fixed focus, is it?
Ps. what IS fixed focus?

Fixed focus, as far as I know...is what you would call those really cheap cameras...like the disposable ones...where there really is no focus. They give you a range and you just have to be that far away to be in focus.

The 50mm lens is a Prime lens...meaning that it has a fixed Focal Length. It does not zoom. It does focus and has an adjustable aperture like other lenses.

This lens is great for several reasons.
#1) It's cheap. The build quality is not very good...but it won't cost very much.
#2) It's optically very good. 50mm is relatively simple lens to design & make...so it will give you great sharpness, contrast & color.
#3) It's got a wide maximum aperture. Being able to shoot as wide as F1.8 is great. You can shoot in lower light and you can get a very shallow DOF.

the 50mm looks great! but i take it there is nothing with any sort of zoom for around £70 is there?

You'll learn more about compositional skills with a 50mm prime than you ever would with a zoom lens. Most teachers strongly recommend it. And I'll agree with what's been said before, and add that the 50mm f/1.8 (or f/1.7) for ANY manufacturer camera is the bargain of the century. A good 50mm prime would be my first must-have lens for any camera I would buy.

And Matt is right, any zoom lens for around £70 isn't worth the materials they make it out of. It would be optically poor and break fairly quickly. You wouldn't be happy with it at all. A good 50mm prime will have you smiling at the photos you'll get. This was taken with a 50mm lens:

Pause1.jpg

After I got rid of my cheap zoom (well, not that cheap) I did survive for quite a while with a 28 mm prime (EF 28mm f 1.8 )and a 50mm prime (EF 50mm f1.4). Now I have some L-Zooms and sold the 28mm, but I will never sell my 50mm prime, it is just too nice :)

Well, the only reason to sell it would be if I got that new 50mm L-prime, but that is way too expensive ;)

Most reactions

Back