LENS for GYM (sports) in Low Light -- photo and video using them with EOS70D

No bro. its 4x600 = 2400 W of CONVENTIONAL lightning equivilent

I'm worried that.. since we're a small team we CANNOT affort to have too many stuff around for usage at this point in time.
Also we're a TRAINING facility. We limit ourselves greatly by shooting at night, but we plan on shooting DURING hours with sessions and therefore we need to MINIMIZE the surrouding stuff.
Some steadi-cam or other RIG + amazing camera and lenses, with RodeVideo Mic is super welcome.
But too much of a ligths, pipes, stuff around placed... that is neither practical (because there will be roaming in the gym, not just "in place" shooting) NOR it is possible due to -- people training around you.

The external lightning is for only special cases. And we might as well build that... quarz thing... BUT ONLY AFTER I DECIPHER all the "ingredients" hahahah :D

Okay guys. We're a strength and conditioning facility with relatively low light.
I'm having the Canon EOS 70D and the Kit Lens.

Currently on our lower floor i get using manual 100speed a WHOOOPING 5000-8000ISO on the images.

Now the lightning can't be helped much. We do have additional ones for special cases but the day-to-day picturing does not use them.

Now we've decided to buy new lenses for this scenario.

My bet is on the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 DC HSM (Art) lenses.
Typically i ALWAYS SHOOT at 18mm on the kits. I can shoot at 20-30, but i prefer the 18 on the KITS. About 1-5 meters shooting, capturing the whole person is what i'm looking for.

WE WILL USE THEM FOR PICTURES AND VIDEO as well. Which bothers me because the Sigma does not have IS. We also have a frakin awesome Monopod:

So my take is that maybe, maybe we can stabilize the video with that. The thing is - often times the operator needs to move, because we're making some WEIGHTLIFTING MANUALs videos. Let me give you example:

We're using the RHODE VideoMic Pro as well.

Now other options as i see it are the:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
I firmly believe the Sigma to be of superior quality, however i'm kinda worried about the VIDEOS and the IS thing.
Our budget is to about 1100$ for these lenses.

I don't have it but the Sigma 18-35 1.8 should work

I, too, own a S&C facility and film shots here (not instructional videos but videos of my clients working out). I have a 6D w/ 24-105 f/4L and it works great (and we use no extra lighting, though we have a bay door on the front and back, so we get some natural light as well). I haven't used another lens to film yet but I think the IS is important for us (do to the lighting situation). However, I'd assume you'd be fine with the Sigma since that can shoot at 1.8 (much faster than my f/4).

What do you use to post process the videos? I agree that a little color correction/white balance and somehow diffusing the light would help a ton (and might make it to where you don't NEED the 1.8 lens).

I dont process them at all.
And as i said that way or another we're searching for high quality lens for the near future years... so the Sigma seems like amazing long-term solution.

Now i will take into account and attach some sorta filter/umbrella/white-shiet to soften the lightning of the additional 4x600w bulbs.

I dont process them at all.
And as i said that way or another we're searching for high quality lens for the near future years... so the Sigma seems like amazing long-term solution.

not sure the Sigma is truly an "amazing long term solution" but it should work for your purposes

Have a better proposal for up to 1000$ ?

Have a better proposal for up to 1000$ ?

as long as it's at least f1.8 any lens will work

even a $50 (used) Canon 50mm 1.8 II !

(with Digital Rebel XSi )

6909207541_3e7ab70a10_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back