Lens for interior room photos..

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for suggestions on a good lens for taking interior room shots. These are basically for an interior design company, we want the images to make the space feel large while minimizing the fisheye effect.

Well, then an ultra wide angle would be your friend. I have Tokina 11-16/2.8. At 11mm, the smallest place seems pretty roomy, due to its distortion. You would need to correct some of the vertical lines in software afterward, but I think you would need that with all UWA lenses. I've never tried, but heard good things about Sigma 8-16mm. Even wider, though a little slower (aperture wise).

Maybe 8-16mm is a better range, quite noticeable difference between 8 and 11 mm.

Nikon 14-24.

Done.

In all seriousness, you need to worry about distortion. The 14-24 is about as good as it gets in this area. If you cannot afford it, I would look into renting it.

Having shot some indoor shots myself, I'd feel a little limited by 14mm in tight spots on a cropped sensor.

I suggest you rent a lens and see how wide you need. Get a widest one and see. If the focal length cannot cover the field of view you want, you may need to stitch the photos.

Take a look at this. (The photographer use a 24mm TS lens and maybe a full frame camera)

[video=vimeo;31577449]http://vimeo.com/31577449[/video]

I was gong to suggest 24mm T/S like Dao. That is what most of the successful architectural photographers use.

For a tilt shift I wuold go with the wider angle models, like the canon 17 or the nikon 16. I had a friend that got the 24 and returned it the next day because it was not wide enough for him. With the 17 from canon you effectively get a 12mm view. Not to shabby for full frame.

Of course OP you never mentioned what camera you have or that you even have one at all.

It seems many of the replies assume he is on a FF body.. But on a crop sensor 14/17mm is just not *that* wide.. I doubt the effect the OP is looking for will be achieved. On a crop sensor, the Sigma 8-16 does incredible things to interior space.. But as someone said earlier, you do have to correct somewhat for distortion in post. But you'll have to do that regardless. I suggest renting it and giving it a go, if you are indeed on a crop sensor (APS-C) camera.

Sorry about that, I thought I had it in my sig.

I use a d300 mostly but for wide angle I use a D700. We have Nikor 14mm and 14-24. The issue is the edge distortion stretching items and making them look out of place

my favorite lenses for interior design photography are 17-40mm Canon L for my 5d mkII and the Sigma 10-20mm on my crop sensor Nikon D7100. can check out the results on my website

I use the 11-16 2.8 Tokina on a crop body for my real estate photos. Sometimes I wish I were shooting full frame but usually it's wide enough without distortion.

Every time somebody responds to a zombie thread, another newb is condemned to shooting Canon for the rest of his or her lifetime...it's sad....really,really sad...

Every time somebody responds to a zombie thread, another newb is condemned to shooting Canon for the rest of his or her lifetime...it's sad....really,really sad...

even sadder when the poor OP is (was) shooting with Nikon
very very sad
Please people. do not keep bumping zombie threads

Most reactions

Back