Lens for Minolta 7000 AF

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by littlefee, Sep 15, 2005.

1. littlefee

littlefee TPF Noob!

Please advise on the best lens types available for this camera.
    For instance, are lens with the letters MD fitting usable on the 7000 AF.
    I would like to buy from E Bay, but am unsure of the lens types and fittings.

2. maxxum

maxxum TPF Noob!

MD is manual focus, So no. You need Minolta AF or Maxxum AF. I can give you a few tips on buying. First stay away from any Minolta AF lens with the xi or xti moniker because they all suck. Second, Do a photodo.com check on the lens and google it to check for retail price. I have bought alot of lenses on ebay and here are a couple very cheap lenses that are ok to start. $100 give or take $20.00 Tamron 28-300mm and sigma's 75-300mm neither great but can get you started. And here are some middle of the road prices that I thought to be great deals. $200 Tokina AT-X 28-80mm, and Minolta 100mm macro 2.8 being one of the best lenses I have. Another great lens I bought from ebay was Tokina AT-X300mm f/2.8 pro2 for $980. Good luck and be patient.

3. littlefee

littlefee TPF Noob!

Thanks Maxxum for your advice. This next question may seem a little odd in the light of your previous answers, but I'll ask anyway..................Is it possible , that there is such a thing as a conversion ring or kit, that can be fitted to my 7000 AF, so that I may couple up to manual lenses?
    Again, thanks for your help......Dave.

4. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

You can buy adaptors, but they're made by hand. No large company makes them. Pop into some camera shops near you and ask some questions. They may know of a place near you who do such a thing. There's one near me, but I live in England.
    I've heard that Minolta did make one. I've yet to see one anywhere though so don't hold out your hopes.

http://www.sds.com/mug/af-tips.html

5. littlefee

littlefee TPF Noob!

Ferny, Your info was extremely useful,and the website you gave was incredible.
    It actually prompted me to explore more avenues and I found what I think may be a very good site foir anyone who is after the same gear that I'm looking for.............The site is .....Vintage Cameras .co.uk. I found it on Google and from what I've seen on their online catalogue, they seem to have all that I need.
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated..........Dave.