Lens for Nikon D5000

cjt_7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a Sony DSC-H50 camera (9.1 mp and 15x zoom). I had a warranty on it and it covered cleaning. I sent it off to get it cleaned and long story short.... they lost my camera. So they offered to give me a camera comparable to the one they lost but I asked if I could apply it towards an upgrade. They said that would be fine. I wanted a dslr but I know there is much to learn about them and haven't been able to research them much. I needed to buy one then (another long story) so I told them what I used my camera for and ended up getting a Nikon D5000 with the Nikkor 18-55mm lens and then also purchased the Nikkor AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED. I mainly take pictures of my children especially athletic events (volleyball, basketball, softball) and I want to try to take my daughter's senior pictures this year. Now, to my question. While they told me the 55-200mm lens would be great for sports I'm not sure it is what I want/need. I know I probably won't be able to afford what I really need for sporting events but I would like some input on what I have. I have 14 days to return these if I don't like them (with a restocking fee). I was at a baseball game last night and I just felt like this lens didn't zoom as close as my sony did and it was hard to focus at times when zoomed all the way. Can you tell me how a 200mm zoom compares to a 15x zoom? Maybe I'm focusing to much on the zoom? Is it something I am doing wrong, and maybe that can't be answered with just the information I gave you, but I wonder if there is another lens that might work better for me that is affordable. With all of that being said, I am not doing this professionally so maybe this will work just fine for me and I just need to adjust.

According to the spec, your old Sony is 31-465mm (35mm eqv.). And the 55-200mm lens is 82-300mm (35mm eqv.)

As you can see, your Sony camera has a longer focal length (465mm) than the kit telephoto lens (300mm). So it will appear that the Sony can "Zoom closer".

If you get a lens that can reach 300mm (i.e. 70-300mm), it should look as "close" as the Sony. (450mm vs 465mm). However, a good telephoto lens usually cost a lot especially when it can perform well in low light situation.

If you just want to get a consumer grade telephoto zoom lens, they do have few around. It depends on your budget.

Hi, your lenses will be OK for what you are intending. You do need however to get a radio trigger, a flash, a light stand, and a largish umbrella and a reflector.

Senior pics are all about posing and the light. The posing is easy and for the light you should check out the Strobist blog.

Good luck- but with a little work you won't need it.

I came to the DSLR world much the way you have having used super zoom point and shoot cameras. I have the D5000 the 18-55 and the 55-200. I too have felt the loss of the length of my old Canon's 12x. I've been researching options for the last few months. As I learned last month even with a shorter focal length the extra mp and much higher quality images sensor will make up for some if not all of it. After shooting with the D5000 at the Grand Ole Opry in March(see Nashville gallery in my sig) and just recently at a Tim McGraw concert using the old Canon(IS S2) their was a world of difference. While the Canon got closer the images are just not as good.

On to the lens options.

Nikon does not make a single lens that will offer the same coverage that your Sony had. Without looking at the lenses with prices over $1000 here is what I've found. To get the length you'll need to get their 70-300 [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJPK2C/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005Y3OM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10B4KV304DEC5X6J8689]Amazon.com: Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]. This leaves you with the closer range to cover. The 18-55 that comes with the D5000 (unless you get body only) is a nice close lens but it will leave you with a "gap" between the two lenses. If you go body only you could get their 18-105 or the 18-200. From what I've read the 18-200 is nive but costs a lot.

Tamron, Sigma and other companies do make longer range lenses 18-280, 18-300 these lenses while they have longer range have issues. Its a compromise you have to decide if you can live with. From my reading they test to be less precise on focus, take longer to focus and have some issues at the corners. They are cheaper and more convenient that carrying multiple lenses but that comes at the price of quality.

IMO, I'd stick with the 18-55 and the 55-200 and take the time to really learn what the D5000 will do then add a new lens based on what you really do. I plan to get the 70-300 as soon as I can.

Thank you for your help. I have used my new camera now for a couple of weekends and think I am really going to like this. I may have to post some pictures soon and see if anyone can give me tips on how to make them better. However, it is all about finding the time to do that. :)

Most reactions

Back