lens for nikon d7200

maren509

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need an all in one that is sharp, wide lens, solid focus, bokeh. I know I can't have it all, but any recommendations please? I shoot inpatient kids and fast moving objects such as my 5 year old.

Welcome to the forum.

A wide angle lens not quite good for portraits. Are you looking for something like a 24-70 f/2.8? Of course Nikon version is $2k. Tamron 24/70 G2 has good reviews and is almost half of Nikon but still $1,200.

Now there is a less expensive option if you go used. A Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 af-d can be had for a couple hundred. Not sure the 35mm on your crop sensor will be wide enough.

Not sure what your budget is but my go to lens is an Nikkor 18-140 DX. It covers about 90% of what I shoot and is a great walk around lens for that camera. There are better lenses that may cover the range of what you want to do, but they are considerably more $$$ and weight.

Nikon 35mm f1.8 dx

Not sure what your budget is but my go to lens is an Nikkor 18-140 DX. It covers about 90% of what I shoot and is a great walk around lens for that camera. There are better lenses that may cover the range of what you want to do, but they are considerably more $$$ and weight.
Thanks! What would be next higher priced option ?

Need an all in one that is sharp, wide lens, solid focus, bokeh. I know I can't have it all, but any recommendations please? I shoot inpatient kids and fast moving objects such as my 5 year old.
What lens(es) do you have now? Also; what limitations are you dealing with?

You might need to forget about "bokeh" unless you have the money and patience to hunt around for a bokeh lens. Yes, there are some auto-focus wide lenses that have a pleasing OOF background, but I can't name one off the top of my head just now.

Or you could opt for a manual focus lens and pick up a:

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F2 ZF.2

Used price is running around $850. Manual focus might come with a learning curve, but that's all we used before auto focus was invented.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks! What would be next higher priced option ?

24-120 f/2.8

Most reactions

Back