lens for photographing golfers..

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
my friends wife is a golfer, i think he said it was his wife., he got some sort of canon DSLR, i think it was one of the rebel models and he is looking for a lens that would be good for taking photos of people golfing and people on the sidelines and what not..

i dont know much about canon stuff, i am thinking some sort of 70-300mm with image stabilazation is probably what he would want, that is what i would think i would want for that kind of thing, i dont know how far alway people are at golf games or matches or what ever you call them.. or maybe a 70-200mm would work not sure..

knowing him i doubt he wants to spend allot of money on the lens. what would be a nice quality lens that would work well for that kind of thing.

Not a lot of money but good quality and plenty fast enough for sunny day golf=======55-250 is stm

It's sharper than the cheap 70-300's

I used my 70-300mm at a PGA tournament last year. No problem to carry around all day. Also depends what your friend wants to photograph. Some people want event photography that would have a record of many of the things that took place during the golf tournament. I went just to get a few shots of the pros and 300mm worked out for that.

There is a 75-300 I believe that is not that good. There is a 70-300 that is very good - not quite L quality, but very good.

Yes, I just got rid of my 75-300 USM III. Was not a very good lens. The 70-200 f4 would be a very good option, especially if he can pick one up 2nd hand.

What course does he play on and what is the length of the sight lines there, not the tee distance to the green, but to the layups.
He probably won't need to see too far if he is photographing the player(s) in his own group. He'll probably be a few yards away normally.

I think the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS was the sharpest consumer zoom and pretty much on a par with the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 SP and the Canon 55-250mm STM. For more than that you'll be into the L series like the Canon 70-200mm f4 L, the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 L. Above that are the lovely Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L or the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 but they are into the big bucks.

Most reactions

Back