Lens For Shooting Motorcycle Racing

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm going to Putnum Raceway to watch my buddy race his motorcycle in April. He wants me to try to get some good shots of him in the corners and I don't know if I'm going to have to buy a new lens to do it. I'm waiting on them to get back to me about how close to the track I can get, but the lens' that I own are in my signature. Is my 18-200 going to be enough? I can rent a 400 or something like that for the weekend, or I can buy a 70-300 if that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice guys/gals.

The question is how close are you going to be able to get to the track and where can you go in the infield? I was shooting at 200mm with my 70-200 while being about 30ft away from the bikes that were in the turns, but I was at a very open and general lax track.

I guess I'll just have to wait for them to get back to me then. I don't think that I'm going to be able to get too close because they're racing 1000cc bikes so the potential for disaster is pretty good. Maybe since I'm with the team though they'll let me move around the infield pretty good.

I guess I'll just have to wait for them to get back to me then. I don't think that I'm going to be able to get too close because they're racing 1000cc bikes so the potential for disaster is pretty good. Maybe since I'm with the team though they'll let me move around the infield pretty good.

It won't matter what class they're racing as to whether or not they'll let you into the infield for pictures.

Trackdays are a mix of whatever people bring, generally ranging for 600-1000 on the track at one time.

Just got off of the phone with Chris from Putnam, I got all of my "photo" credentials setup with him. No restrictions besides the outsides of the corners where the bikes slide/flip/tumble/crash if the rider goes down, and of course not allowed on the actuall track itself. As far as what it takes to get the credentials there, it's not hard. All you have to do is call Chris up and tell him what dates you plan on being there, and he will get you all setup with a pass. I can't wait. I'll post up some good stuff when I get back. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back