lens for surf photography (from beach)

vandalismo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I am willing to buy a lens for surf photography.
I used to have sigma 80-400 but wasn't sharp enough.

Initially I was going to buy nikon AF 300 mm 4d EF prime, but I realized that will not be long enough for all the spots I am planning to use.
Then I would go for Sigma or Tamron 150 - 600 with stabilization. But don't know which one is better. I guess sharpness will not be greater than the 80-400 I used to have. But should be relatively good till about 400 mm.

Can somebody give recommendation for the mentioned lenses. Or any other lens I should consider. My budget is around 500 euro (or around 600 US...)

thanx!

I think your budget is pushing it for any lens from the beach as you may want weather sealing. What body are you using?

Fwiw I have sigma 150-600C and it's a sharp lens

I just got nikon D5600...

have you used sigma 80-400 to compare to the 150-600 ?

I never had the 80-400. I believe when the 150-600 came out it was pretty much agreed by most reviewers that it was an improvement over the previous zooms sigma made in similar price ranges (150-500, 120-400 and 80-400)

If you are going prime, then think about a prime plus a tele-extender. A 2x extender will make the 300mm a 600mm, but it will also half the light. A 1.5x will make the 300mm a 450mm.

Imo extenders are generally poor unless you have the very best lenses coupled with cameras that have the very best autofocus systems. I wouldn't recommend one here, a 300 f4 becomes a 600 f8, does a d5600 even focus at f8, you'd have to check the specs

I am not going to use tele conventors with prime lens...To be honest my preference would go for prime 400 with stabilization but cant find decent priced second hand. As well, some beach brakes the surfer can be 15-20 mtrs infront of me, which means, I have to walk away from the beach, which means people, dogs, umbrellas, etc on the way...
Unless I am wrong.
The zoom might be more practical (relatively less quality)

I remmeber on my 80-400 I had poor quality when shooting 250 mm and more...I expect lens 150-600 will give sharp photos till 450, maybe 500 mm lenght...

You don't need stabilization.

You'll more than likely be shooting shutter speeds above the 1/500 max speed you want to use it with.

Look at nikon's 200-500. Sigma's old lens were pretty poor quality so don't let that deter you.

Extenders are made for primes. I’ve had nothing but good luck with the images and high IQ with extenders. No problem with focus also, but I’m not shooting a Nikon D5600.

Most shore based surf photographers would be using something like a 600 f/4 or a 200-400 f/4
I think my GF was using a 300mm f/2.8 but shooting from a Zodiac out in the sea.

so let me ask like that. Do you guys think that I would have crispy sharp photos with Sigma or Tamron 150-600 shooting focal lenght between 350-500 mm from 100 to 200 meters...

Or I would have sharper photos with prime 300 mm + converter?

I talk about budget lens - prime would be nikon 4d EF, which I can get up to 400-500 euro second hand.

The sigma or tamron should be good at 500mm. Which is better is debatable, but there's hardly a difference between them. Converters won't play well with a d5600

Years ago I had a Sigma 170-500 and it was a decent lens. But it developed very bad lens creep, to the point it was hard to use. I sold it and just shot with my 300mm f/2.8.

Well after about 12 years I gave Sigma another chance. And picked up a 150-500 with OS. It's definately a sharper lens. But I did have trouble again. Something let loose inside of it in the focus system. So, I had to send it in. I did get it back and the lens works fine now. But I believe it focuses slower than when it was new. I called Sigma on that and they said that was the initial issue. Was the lens focusing motor was set too fast at the factory and is what was causing the breakage. The quality of the pictures from the lens is pretty good. For your budget it may not be a bad choice!

I I think at the Nikon 300 MMF/4 AFS is a good lens, but the 300 MMF4D is not that fast of focusing lens. I think the new 150 to 600 MM Sigma and Tamron zoom's would be the better choice actually up to 500 MM. You would also have the advantage of a true 600 MM, and the usefulness of a zoom lens, which leads to better framing, better composition, and more Usefulness. The prime lens plus Tele converter is always very long and very narrow in angle of view.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back