lens for surf photography (from beach)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by vandalismo, Oct 22, 2017.

1. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The sigma or tamron should be good at 500mm. Which is better is debatable, but there's hardly a difference between them. Converters won't play well with a d5600

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Years ago I had a Sigma 170-500 and it was a decent lens. But it developed very bad lens creep, to the point it was hard to use. I sold it and just shot with my 300mm f/2.8.

Well after about 12 years I gave Sigma another chance. And picked up a 150-500 with OS. It's definately a sharper lens. But I did have trouble again. Something let loose inside of it in the focus system. So, I had to send it in. I did get it back and the lens works fine now. But I believe it focuses slower than when it was new. I called Sigma on that and they said that was the initial issue. Was the lens focusing motor was set too fast at the factory and is what was causing the breakage. The quality of the pictures from the lens is pretty good. For your budget it may not be a bad choice!

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I I think at the Nikon 300 MMF/4 AFS is a good lens, but the 300 MMF4D is not that fast of focusing lens. I think the new 150 to 600 MM Sigma and Tamron zoom's would be the better choice actually up to 500 MM. You would also have the advantage of a true 600 MM, and the usefulness of a zoom lens, which leads to better framing, better composition, and more Usefulness. The prime lens plus Tele converter is always very long and very narrow in angle of view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gckless

gckless No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Sigma 150-600 Sport may be the best lens you could get for that price for over something over 300mm, IMO anyway. The Nikon 200-500 is nice too, falls off just a bit after 400mm though.