Lens For The D-50

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Soul Rebel, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. malweth

malweth TPF Noob!

I had a similar problem to yours... I ended up ordering the D50 kit (Nikkor 18-55mm) and the Nikkor 50mm Prime lens. I was convinced by many people that a cheaper zoom lens (especially Quantaray) wouldn't make me happy. I also thought about the Sigma 2-for kit, but decided against in favor of the prime lens.

I'm very happy with the 50mm Prime so far (arrived today), and the 18-55mm Kit lens has been great for my beginner level shooting :D - Of course my typical photos are family and domestic animal shots ... this may not be in-line with what you're thinking.

I am planning on asking for a Cheap(er) Nikkor zoom for Christmas - a lot depends on how much I think I need it after my cruise vacation this summer!

3. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I could have gotten a significantly cheaper package with a chaper Quantaray lens but my thinking was that getting the package made by Nikon would be better. Maybe the thinking is flawed but I thought as a starter kid the actual Nikon lens would be best. So far I like it and I think I can survive on that for awhile. However, I want to get a zoom lens. I like taking photos of birds and stuff like that and think that would be the best for me.

I also am thinking of a macro lens but I dont think I can get both on that budget. The zoom is the way to go for me...I think.

4. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you may want to consider the sigma 70-300 APO DG macro II lens.... its a popular choice for both nikon and canon owners and is great for a good priced 'all rounder'...... you get the benefit of the telephoto zoom..... and the macro in one lens. It's not as good as a dedicated macro (but they are expensive anyway!).... but you still get decent results. I'm UK so cant link you.... but most camera online camera stores have them.

Add to this...... the inexpensive 50mm 1.8 prime..... and your good to go.... ;)

5. Arch

Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So what do I look for in a lens to make sure it fits my camera? Do I just need the Nikon AF lenses?

7. Arch

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yea it says all the compatable fittings in the D50 manual.... most nikon lenses work.... with some older ones you can loose metering and/or AF..... but companies like sigma and tamron usually do the nikon mounts too. Most of the new digital ones will have 'D' in the title.

8. JEazy

JEazy TPF Noob!

9. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So if I get a lens that isnt specified digital, such as just a Nikon AF lens....am I losing anything?

10. JEazy

JEazy TPF Noob!

Sometimes you can lose digital crop. Say you get a fisheye for a Nikon Film SLR and you use it on a Nikon Digital SLR, instead of being able to see 180 degrees, it cuts it down to about 130 degrees because of the digital crop. Other than that, you don't really lose anything.

11. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The lady down at our local camera store said something about the digital lens being curved while the non-digital lens isnt. Or maybe the other way around. I dont know. She did say there was a loss in quality (not a whole lot though) in using a lens that isnt digital.

12. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

IF ANYTHING there should be a slight increase in quality as the light dropoff in the edges are less and the crop is from the dead center which should always be the sharpest section of the lens.

LWW