Lens for the Gym

rwhitlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am shooting with a Nikon D60. I have the Kit 18-55mm lense and a Tamron 70-300mm that I have been using for outdoor (Tennis) shots. I like that my results get a little better each time.

BUT, Volleyball season is around the corner. We will be moving into the gym. I need to shoot without flash (obviously) and still with a shutter speed to catch some action.

Has anyone had some successful Gym pics, what lens are you using?

Also, what about the range finding light that comes on, can you turn it off? Should I manual focus to prevent it from coming on?

Thanks. Rich

the 85mm f/1.4D IF AF would be a good choice.

Definitely a prime lens like memento suggested :thumbup:

the 85mm f/1.4D IF AF would be a good choice.

Thanks for the input! It's the one I have my eye on. I will probably wait till August or so to buy. Just to see how pricing goes...

I have also been reading some other discussions with regards to bouncing flashes off a roof during Volleyball games. I might consider, but I am going to consult the High School Association first.

i doubt there would be any price different if you wait unless you find a used one. might as well just buy it now and have fun with it.

Gym shots are tough due to lighting. Never use a flash...ISO should be high, telephoto lenses are ok...but not too great for close up shots as the lighting is not great. The best (non-super professional) lens would be something in the 70mm range...but you must be on the court and close to the action get the best pics. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back