Lens for Wedding???

artoledo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking for a lens or lenses for wedding photography. Any recommendations? and why? Thanks!!!!

I have the 16-85 VR f/3.5 and 70-300 VR f/3.5.

Both of them work great for me. I am fast working towards replacing both of them with f/2.8 tamron lenses. the 17-50 and 70-200. Add in a 1.4X or 2X Teleconverter, I think I will have a pretty decent set up along with the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor I have.

I have some events I shoot that restrict flashes. The f/3.5 just doesn't cut it, and the 50mm prime just doesn't work when things are within 15 feet.

That and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks

Whats your budget?

I have the 16-85 VR f/3.5 and 70-300 VR f/3.5.

Both of them work great for me. I am fast working towards replacing both of them with f/2.8 tamron lenses. the 17-50 and 70-200. Add in a 1.4X or 2X Teleconverter, I think I will have a pretty decent set up along with the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor I have.

I have some events I shoot that restrict flashes. The f/3.5 just doesn't cut it, and the 50mm prime just doesn't work when things are within 15 feet.

That and $5 will get you a coffee at Starbucks
at this point i dont think money is an option. I need to buy what is needed.

If money is not a concern, go for the trifecta.

Nikkor 17-35 2.8
Nikkor 24-70 2.8
Nikkor 80-200 2.8

You can't go wrong with that setup... though you are looking at around $4000.

If money is not a concern, go for the trifecta.

Nikkor 17-35 2.8
Nikkor 24-70 2.8
Nikkor 80-200 2.8

You can't go wrong with that setup... though you are looking at around $4000.
+1 and add a SB-900 and at least a D300 to the list and get two of each lens so you have backups. You can use the D90 as backup to the D300 for a while. Successful wedding photographers have backups for EVERYTHING.

yeesh... backup *lenses* too? That might be a LITTLE extreme. I mean, if you have all the money in the world, why not? but...

at this point i dont think money is an option. I need to buy what is needed.
You can buy the gear, but you can't buy the knowledge of how to use it.

But, you're on the path and have taken the steps to get started so keep learning. With photography it never stops.

But, you're on the path and have taken the steps to get started so keep learning. With photography it never stops.

That's kind of presumptuous, isn't it?

+1 and add a SB-900 and at least a D300 to the list and get two of each lens so you have backups. You can use the D90 as backup to the D300 for a while. Successful wedding photographers have backups for EVERYTHING.
Right now I am sticking to D90 until I get more pennies together. And 2 of everything is a little extreme for my taste.

I know I cant buy the knowledge but that is why I am on here.... right???

I think a backup body is essential, unless you are working with a second shooter. What if it fails? You can't reschedule a wedding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back