Lens frustration

Welcome to dSLR photography!!!

Things are looking up for you as seen by you pic. There definitely is a learning curve in the transition from P&S to SLR, but it is well worth it - besides, it's FREEEEEE!!!

As mentioned by other posters, i'd stick with AF for awhile - chiefly until you have confidence using the cameras settings - ALL auto (Program), ISO settings, Aperature Priority, Shutter Priority and then full Manual where everything is your discretion.

The focusing, manual or auto, can come later as you experiment with various settings to find what you like. You can rest assured the focus part is taken care of while you learn the rest of the camera's tools.

Although, occassionally it is better to use MF, but you will learn when that is better for your needs as you are learning the camera's settings.

ENJOY!!!

frank

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Can someone tell me what to type into a search to find the lenses I need. I also need to know what to look for. I see all kinds of minolta lenses on ebay for cheap but I'm scared to buy one for the fear it may be wrong!!!

Thanks,
Ryan

Take it slow, There is a lot to learn but you will start to see your images improve. You may find it easier to grasp if you start by learning about ISO,then shutter speeds, followed by apertures and then putting it all together. Don't rush and you will begin to understand it all a lot quicker.You have been given a lot of advice on lens but if you want to do a seach I would suggest you start with Sony, Then search for "Sony lens reviews" and you should get links to reviews of lens by photo mags and websites. I would not buy a used lens unless I tried it first, I don't have the stomach for buying high priced items on Ebay, JMO

Again, www.Dyxum.com is a site dedicated to Minolta/Sony A-mount lenses and contains reviews. But obviously you need to think about what kind of lens you want before looking for a specific one. Also don't give up one the kit lens just yet - as you've seen your images will improve as you get a better understanding of the basic techniques and how the camera and lens work.

I am not counting out the kit lense yet, I see my pics getting better and better with practice. I have been researching lenses and I am going to purchase the Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 for my first lense. I have read nothing but good reviews about this lense and it's uses are those of what I am looking to start shooting. I am also studying exposure so I can get a better grasp on things. I appreciate all the help and advice, especially from you ZaphodB!

<R>

Glad I could help, but in the words of Columbo, "just one more thing": Please DON'T buy a Minolta MD lens! MD was the manual focus mount, so those lenses will not fit on an autofocus Minolta or Sony. A Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is indeed a good lens but you need to be sure you're getting an autofocus one.

aside from reading reviews (which are helpful, but not great unless the person doing the interview has used multiple lenses of the same type, so same or similar focal lengths of different max apertures and made by different companies), looking at galleries that were taken with a particular lens will REALLY tell you what the lens can do.

ZaphodB- I am so glad you posted what you did because you saved me from making a mistake and I appreciate that. Now that I have made up my mind on the size I think maybe I need to go back and research on type, brand, and what it fits. I also read that some lenses that were made before digital are a different size when they are put on digital?

Thanks,
<R>

yeah as a fellow alpha user your going to want to stick with minolta maxxum lenses as their going to be the only ones that with fit the alpha. Basically your going to want to stick with the af lenses as stated before and imo i would go with the sony 50mm f/2.8 macro because you get a two in one if you go with that lens.

So I bought a Maxxum 50mm f/2.8 and I'm awaiting it's delivery. I hope that this will help me in shooting indoor urban shots! I am interested in shooting some outdoor animals, actually an eagles nest that I found local. The kit lense will not reach as far as I need it to so I am looking at 200mm lenses, what do you suggest? I am getting some good shots with my kit lense but I'm finding it's limitations real quick. I have had some really good shots and I intend on posting them on my website as soon as I get them resized. Thanks for all the comments and advice!

<R>

I think if I were you, I would not worry about buying more equipment until I had learned a bit about photography. I recommend reading a good basic photography book, and getting a handle on basic things like exposure, focal length, composition, light, and then taking about 20,000 more photos. Then you'll be ready to decide on what new equipment you need.

I recommend reading a good basic photography book, and getting a handle on basic things like exposure, focal length, composition, light, and then taking about 20,000 more photos.

Is there any good books you can think of, I am not shy to learn by reading. I have found that my kit lens restricts arpeture at different focal lengths and I cannot shoot things unless they are terribly close to me. I will admit I have a ton of things to learn, this is one of the biggest hobbies I have ever entered.

Thanks,
<R>

No one book can really cover it all. I always recommend books by John Hedgecoe. He has some books that cover "most" of it very well, like camera and lens design, focal length, shutter speed and aperture, film selection, composition, lighting, etc... I hear "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson recommended often. Exposure is the single most important "technical" thing for you to learn, so getting a book dedicated to it is probably not a bad idea. You can find these books on amazon.com for reasonable prices.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back