Lens help and advice

ejcross

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for advice on my next lens purchase. I have a Canon T5 with the 18-55 and 70-300 kit lenses, also have the 50mm 1.8 prime. I'm finding that the lenses are good but I have to switch back and forth a lot between the two kit lenses.

I enjoy shooting a wide variety of scenes, from landscape and action shots, to macro of flowers and textures of things.

Is there a good, all around lense suggested for multipurpose use? I've seen the Canon 18-135 and also the 18-200, big cost difference though.

Any feedback would be appreciated, trying to figure out all the options.

Good and all around multipurpose lens is an oxymoron. The wider the zoom range the more you sacrifice in image quality. Take your pick, convenience or image quality. It is like Chinese take out, you can have one from column A or one from column B.

There are long zoom range lenses but there is a compromise involved. Zoom lenses, as you may know, are softer and lower in contrast than fixed lenses because of the number of elements in their design. The longer the zoom range, the greater the compromise. In your shoes I would look for something in the wide angle area. The purpose of having a camera that can interchange lenses is to provide more capability and flexibility to your photography. Welcome that capability and make use of it.

There are long zoom range lenses but there is a compromise involved. Zoom lenses, as you may know, are softer and lower in contrast than fixed lenses because of the number of elements in their design. The longer the zoom range, the greater the compromise. In your shoes I would look for something in the wide angle area. The purpose of having a camera that can interchange lenses is to provide more capability and flexibility to your photography. Welcome that capability and make use of it.
Given my current lenses, what would you recommend? I've looked at the 10-24mm but also a couple of others. Thanks!

An 18-200mm can be a nice one lens does all for many things. Just put it on and off you go. However with such a wide range of focal lengths in a single lens like that the image quality takes a hit (esp also because of its price point in the market as well).

Does everything but is master of nothing save convenience.

What you really need to do is sit down and clearly write out what you feel your limits and problems with your current gear is. You need to evaluate and see what you feel is missing; what you feel are the shortcomings and what you feel are the problems you want to overcome with a new purchase

They newer Canon 18-135 USM may be a good option. The Canon 18-135 STM is a fine performer for me.

Given my current lenses, what would you recommend? I've looked at the 10-24mm but also a couple of others. Thanks!
10-24 should be an excellent choice.

I used to dis the 18-200mm as being not good enough till I realised that most people didn't hold as exacting standards. That their previous point of reference was a P&S or a phone camera.
Final answer: Tamron 16-300. *drop mic*

Which is why I don't recommend mediocre lenses such at an 18-200 or the 16-300. If they didn't want better image quality then they should have just stuck with a Point and Shoot and saved the money for something else. *politely hands the mic to the stage manager*

They newer Canon 18-135 USM may be a good option. The Canon 18-135 STM is a fine performer for me.

right, the 18-135 STM is a good "walk around" lens as well as the 15-85
and if you like wide angles the Canon 10-18 STM is good at $239 (refurbished)

I paid $209 (refurb) direct from Canon a couple months ago. I love the lens!

I paid $209 (refurb) direct from Canon a couple months ago. I love the lens!

For lens I always look at the refurb listings (which includes one year warranty)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back