Bit of a pejorative statement that. What evidence do you have that gypsies have more thieves per capita than any o there group?

Well I had a 400 page scientific study that took 15 years to complete and cost millions of taxpayer dollars proving this beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Sadly, however, it was stolen by gypsies. :)

Ok, so for the OP.. a couple of questions and clarifications...

In generally lenses that cover a wide range of focal lengths such as an 18-300, for example, do not produces as high a quality of image as lenses with a more limited range of focal length. They have to make compromises as a function of their design, and as a result the image quality won't be quite as good as the same shot taken by something with a more limited focal length, like say a 70-300mm.

The upside on these lenses is you don't have to carry more lenses or change lenses to get the focal length you desire, so it is a tradeoff - Convenience for IQ. The question becomes, is the IQ difference worth it for you personally?

My recommendation, look for test shots and reviews of the lenses that interest you, and see if the IQ meets your standards. Pay particular attention to shots taken at both extremes of the focal range, so if your looking at say an 18-200 look at a variety of shots done with that lens both at 18mm and 200mm.

Like TiredIron I prefer lenses of a more limited focal range, I don't mind carrying an extra lens and switching it out for better IQ (Image Quality). However some folks really like the convenience factor of one lens that covers those focal lengths, and for them the IQ difference doesn't outweigh the convenience factor.

Are we taking art shots for possible sale, or are we taking travel souvenir shots for family memories? An 18-200 mm would make adequate shots IMO, but then there are those low-light shots that you'll miss or have to use flash.

Brought a 17-35 a few years back . Thats all I need . WIDE !! Trust me , churches , small villages . You are going to want wide .

Bit of a pejorative statement that. What evidence do you have that gypsies have more thieves per capita than any o there group?
It really doesn't matter if i have all the evidence in the world or none--I simply worry about my equipment getting stolen by gypsies regardless. It's not my fault they made a name for themselves and all travelers to Italy are warned about them and other bag snatchers.

One of the most prejudiced statements I have seen on these boards. Made with no hard evidence at all, this is a form of racism.

18-140 perhaps? Pretty well thought-of 'kit' lens with good range.

Whatever lens you decide on, make sure it's a true Italian lens, like Koristka. :)

One of the most prejudiced statements I have seen on these boards. Made with no hard evidence at all, this is a form of racism.

Except my statement was formed by insight. I don't really care if you think it was derogatory, or prejudiced, or mean, or hurtful, or whatever. The worry about theft by a group of people known for thievery and present in the country of topic is a legitimate worry. Was it the best choice of words? no. I could have just said thieves, but whatever.

But, Racist? Absolutely, not.

Except my statement was formed by insight. I don't really care if you think it was derogatory, or prejudiced, or mean, or hurtful, or whatever. The worry about theft by a group of people known for thievery and present in the country of topic is a legitimate worry. Was it the best choice of words? no. I could have just said thieves, but whatever.

But, Racist? Absolutely, not.

You will find it treated as racist in the UK and elsewhere in Europe. Probably down to the fact that thousands died in the same death camps in the holocaust. you could simply have said thieves. The prejudice was unnecessary, which is why it is offensive.

Not taking sides here but why are the Gypsy Travelers treated they was they are in the UK then?

Not taking sides here but why are the Gypsy Travelers treated they was they are in the UK then?

Because of prejudice - there are also gypsies and travellers - they aren't the same thing and the fact that so many people just call them all gypsies - or gypos to use the insulting term, just shows the ignorance behind much of the prejudice. I used to a be a local politician, and we had a set of travellers set up camp in part of the area I represented. They weren't gypsies, they were Irish travellers. Crime went up in the area. After investigation, it was found that the travellers weren't responsible for it. The local criminals and burglars took advantage of the presiding prejudice and burgled houses knowing that the locals would just blame the travellers - or gypsies/gypos as they were described.

Also in Europe you will find people dressing as gypsies to do the old rose in the lapel trick. Not all of these are gypsies. Just because it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck doesn't necessarily mean it is a duck. There are criminals in every part of society and the unnecessary prejudice shown was in my view avoidable.

And before Braneack comes back - I travel extensively across Europe and the world. I am aware of the security and safety risks in Central and Southern America, Europe, Asia and much of the US. Nothing beats prejudice better than experience.

Last edited:
Actual advice to the OP - Only you can decide how much you want to compromise of IQ over usability. I travel all the time, and on 90% of trips in Europe and Asia I take my Pentax 645Z (about the size and weight of a Nikon D4), several lenses and the Sony A7RII plus 5 or 6 lenses for that. Much of my time when just mooching around I will have the A7RII with the Loxia 35 on it with the Batis 25 in a pocket or in my waist pack. I tend to carry my best stuff with me in case I get a great opportunity that I may not get again very easily.

I can carry a lot of weight - I'm reasonably fit, but eat too much, so am quite bulky. Before you go check on your airline's hand baggage regulations. Some of them are very strict. Some airlines have weight as well as size limitations. I travel in business class nearly always and still the official weight limit is 10kg on most airlines. It's rarely enforced for passengers in premium classes or who have frequent flyer status in my experience, though I have had to be creative on occasion when someone applies the rules strictly.

If you have a coat with big pockets take it and put your spare lenses in it and wear your camera. It won't count as luggage.

And yes, when you are out and about in Italy, be wary of strangers. Learn one or two local words. Enjoy your trip and follow an early morning shoot with an afternoon siesta where you can.

What can be useful is to take the open top tourist bus which will give you two things: a chance to get your bearings, and travel across 24 hours. Be aware that there are frequent taxi strikes in Italy - in Rome in particular and this brings out unofficial taxis. Always always always (did I say always?) agree the fare before you get in the car, be it official or unofficial taxi. Speaking the language always helps. I speak reasonably fluent Italian and it saved me 50% against what another English speaking was being charged. This is where you are most likely to be taken for a ride in more ways than one.

And before Braneack comes back - I travel extensively across Europe and the world. I am aware of the security and safety risks in Central and Southern America, Europe, Asia and much of the US. Nothing beats prejudice better than experience.

I'll still heed to caution.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back