Lens Help for Wedding and Non-Wedding

shachr6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Canon equipment. I would like to get a wide angle lens however I shoot weddings should a get a fisheye or not? Also I would like to get a macro any good recommendations?

How many weddings have you shot? A wide angle would be a good choice but its only useful for a couple shots, A fisheye for weddings would be an odd choice unless your shooting a skateboarder wedding. Also a macro lens would not be very useful for weddings aside from the ring shot. What is your current equiptment for weddings? If you do get a wide angle and plan on using it at indoor wedding be sure to get a 2.8.

Yes I understand that the wide could only be used for a few shots and that I would need a 2.8, I should have also said I am using a croped body.
the macro would not be used for wedding just personal use.
As for right now I have a couple bodies, 17-50mm 2.8, 50mm, 70-200L 2.8, couple flashes and a couple other lenses.

I have (and recommend) the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens. It's not F2.8...but you don't need as fast of a shutter speed with wide lenses anyway, So it's not really an issue. It's wide enough to give you WA distortion when you want it...and it's wide enough to to work in really tight spaces.
A lot of people seem to be looking at the Sigma 10-20mm as well...because it's cheaper.

I've seen a few wedding shooters who use fish-eye lenses. It's a neat effect when you can pull it off...but I don't know if it's worth the price for those few shots.

As for Macro, I've been hearing great things about the EF-S 60mm macro. It's handy for wedding shooting because it's compact and easy to carry around (for that couple of times you would need it).
As with any macro lens...working distance can sometimes be an issue, in which case, a longer focal length is better. The 100mm F2.8 Macro is said to be pretty darn good, and also makes a great portrait lens.

Contra wise, a 28-70mm f/2.8 is a nice option. Even on a cropped body you only need a little space for a full length and can get fairly candid @70mm (105mm equiv) in a normal sized church.

Last time I checked a macro lens is still a lens and is very uesfull at a wedding, I use my 60mm f2.8 at wedding all the time, great for detail shots and portraits.

Most reactions

Back