Lens help required

TBAM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I'm Nathan and predominantly photo live bands, bands, portraits at functions and events, the occasional support photographer at weddings, and prefer my photography to center around people and events.

Most of these events are late in the afternoon or at night and my kit lenses and camera sensor just can't keep up.

I'm not looking to go into full professional work. I do it more as a hobby, and occasionally get paid.

I love the Olympus due to the lightness and portability, so don't really want to switch systems.

I've got a budget of around $500 AUD ($400 USD i think at the moment).

My main contender at the moment seems to be the Zuiko ED 14-35mm (28-70) f2 but that is pretty expensive.

Should I sell my kit lenses and consolidate into a more versatile lens for what i'm intending to do (shoot people)?

Am I looking at the complete wrong focal length at the moment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Considering the type of photography you seem to be interested in I would suggest something with some range. When shooting people the main concern is caputring emotion. This is usually done with candids, in which a good zoom f/2.8 (because of the low light situations) would serve you well.

I shoot live bands a lot, and I think you will be disappointed in the long run with this type of camera. Your budget is a real limiting factor as good high ISO (low noise) and fast lens ( f/2.8 or faster ) is really what is needed for acceptable results. I have some example shots at: http://www.pbase.com/jstuedle/live_bands

Good luck in whatever you choose, but try to take a little time and investigate what you need/want and what it's capable of.

Good luck in whatever you choose, but try to take a little time and investigate what you need/want and what it's capable of.

My wife actually bought me the Olympus. :p

It's actually quite a fantastic camera to be honest. The main limiting factor seems to be mainly an affordable lens choice and the viewfinder.

Noise isn't a problem if I can get enough light into the camera, which is why i'm thinking of a new lens. But with the 4/3 system, it's a bit all over the place, Panasonic have lenses, Sigma have lenses, Olympus have lenses, most of them seem quite similar, but it's hard to find a good source of information for the amateur.

For example, the lens I mentioned earlier would seem like the ideal lens for me, however it's around $3000 AUD. I have a general understanding of the SIGMA codes, however it's even harder to find specific information of if that lens is available in the 4/3 mount.

I understand that my camera is a bit limiting, however the solution "get something else" shouldn't be my only option.

For example, has anyone used the pancake f2.8 for band photo's or has anyone used the new 14-50(i think) f2.8 that's coming out with the new E-30?

Did you consider the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8? It is not as wide as the other lenses you mentioned (is this a problem for your type of photography?) but it is supposed to be quite good, it is fast and within your budget.

Options:

- Sell the 14-24, get the Sigma 18-50 DC EX HSM F/2.8
- Raise ISO (increases noise so see my 3rd point)
- invest in a good noise reduction software like Imagenomic Noiseware Pro
- Consider getting a few cheap flashes and triggers... learn how to use them.

Thanks heaps guys, I didn't think of that one funnily enough. I'll check it out.

With Imagenomic, what is that like compared to photoshop CS3?

I find that most noise-reduction software tends to make the pictures look like i've applied the Median filter, which sometimes makes the images look a little too artificial.

Most reactions

Back