lens help...

hollisterguyo7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so just bought a canon rebel xti love it so far... looking to upgrade to a better lense... im gonna start shooting a lot of portraits...and then some stuff like motorcross n stuff fast past like that along with cars... and just nature and stuff... what would u guys recommend...

Well your budget is going to be a big factor in recommendations and decisions.

For portaits I'm sure a lot of people will recommend the 50mm f1.8. It's fast, sharp, and pretty cheap at $80-100. The downside of that is that the build quality isn't that great.

I too have the lens mentioned above if money is an issue I think it would be a great place to start.
I prefer it 100% over the kit lens..

Well if you have $300 you could get the 1:8 50mm and then try the 70-300mm that's what I am getting my budget is really slim to non I just had some huge dental expenses so I am going to have to upgrade later.
You should then still have some money left over for some polarizers and such..
Whooo I love shopping with other peoples money.. hehe..

If you want to get into motocross, you're going to need more distance than the 50 I'll bet.

For $700 you can get the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I have it and love it, so of course I am going to recommend it. If you had $1200ish, you could buy the Canon version, which is very nice.

Somebody mentioned the 50 1.8 paired with a 70-300mm. That's a great idea, and will get you a lot for your dollar. I've used several Canon 75-300's for extensive periods of time, and recently tried the Tamron 70-300 (Di) and was very impressed. You can get the Tamron 70-300 for $135ish new.

thanks im trying to spend a decent amount on a nice lense.. but i also kinda wanna try different ones like a macro an also a nice wideangle

For motocross this summer, im planning on ordering the 70-200f4. its under 600 and everyone says its probably the best bang for buck L lens there is. I dont plan on using the lens indoors much, if at all, so I dont mind the f4, but you might. And sense its sports photography, the IS wont help me much either.

For motocross this summer, im planning on ordering the 70-200f4. its under 600 and everyone says its probably the best bang for buck L lens there is. I dont plan on using the lens indoors much, if at all, so I dont mind the f4, but you might. And sense its sports photography, the IS wont help me much either.

Actually it will, In the 2nd IS mode it stabilizes vertically for panning shots which is what you'll have shooting MX. Believe me , it works.

[/b]
Actually it will, In the 2nd IS mode it stabilizes vertically for panning shots which is what you'll have shooting MX. Believe me , it works.

Hmmm, someone told me a while ago that I shouldnt worry about it for what I wanted to do. But that deff makes sense. Im just starting to build my lens base, so I dont think ill spring for the IS for $$ sake, but ill have to keep it in mind for down the road.

What they usually mean when is wont help, is if your subject is moving fast and your using a low shutter speed is it wont really help freeze the motion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back