Lens Help

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
HI, I am very very new to photography but really want to give it a try so I am going to be getting a Canon EOS Rebel XSi and I was wondering what lens I should buy to accompany this. Would a 18-55mm Lens be a good starter lens...and would this lens have image stabilization. Or would you recommend a 28-200mm?

For a starting point get the kit lens that comes with the camera - its a good focal range and will give you a decent starting point.
Beyond that what lenses you need is determined very much by:

a) what you intend the lens to do for you - ie what you hope to take photos of with the lens

b) how much you are willing to part with in cold hard cash :)

The only lens that many people recommend and is popular to most is a "nifty fifty" that is a 50mm f1.8. A prime lens (no zoom) but a very cheap and yet sharp lens.

What is your budget?

The usual 'kit' lens is 18-55mm and would probably be a good start. However, most people (around here anyway) find that they eventually grow out of that lens and want something better. So if you have the means, you could get a better lens from the start, but that is certainly not necessary.

I don't usually recommend lenses like a 28-200mm. For the most part, the wider the range, the poorer the overall quality.

I agree with the recommendation for the 50mm F1.8, that would make a good compliment to go with the 18-55mm lens.

ok thank you very much. Just wondering does that starter Canon 18-55mm lens have image stabilization?

ok thank you very much. Just wondering does that starter Canon 18-55mm lens have image stabilization?

The 18 -55 kit lens does not have IS. However if you are getting just the body and are looking for a good all around lens to start with that has IS I would recommend the 28-135 f/3.5 -5.6 IS USM. It is a decent lens that cost anywhere from $300 - $400 depending on where you get it or if your retailer will cut you a deal with the body.

The 18 -55 kit lens does not have IS. However if you are getting just the body and are looking for a good all around lens to start with that has IS I would recommend the 28-135 f/3.5 -5.6 IS USM. It is a decent lens that cost anywhere from $300 - $400 depending on where you get it or if your retailer will cut you a deal with the body.
Actually it does have IS which can be switched on/off. I know because I own an XSI with the kit lens. I would highly recommend getting the nifty fifty.

Cool...my bad. Didn't know they were putting the 18-55 with IS as the kit lens now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cool...my bad. Didn't know they were putting the 18-55 with IS as the kit lens now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes they did. :)

And the newer kit lens is much better than the old version (according to the reviews I read) in terms of optical quality. It even sharper than some Canon lens that cost twice as much.

Yep, they added IS to the kit lens. The kit is a good starter, though if you think you will outgrow the kit lens there are some good third party lenses to consider; Tamron 17-50 2.8, and sigma version as well, both are about $400, they are good performers but don't hit the wallet quite as hard as the canon 17-55.

...well I just checked B&H, an it seems that the Kit only costs $60 more than the body alone, So I would certainly go with the kit lens to start with.

Most reactions

Back