Lens help

Thanks everyone for the replies. It makes me feel better about my decision to puchase that lens. I did research and it got very good reviews on the B & H website. And the price was in my budget.

just don't expect any other lenses in the same price range to be as effective as the 1.8. :)

I am thinking your instructor is not very keen on current lenses. That is a darn sharp lens, and I darn near bet that at many apertures, he would not be able to tell it apart from another 50mm prime print. Hopefully the student next to you shoots with a 24-70 2.8 zoom so you can blow them out of the water! LOL

He uses Canon so maybe he doesn't like Nikon.

Canon makes a similar 50mm f/1.8 lens for around $100.

Your instructor is most definitely wrong about the quality of the lens. The f/1.8 variant is a decently sharp and quite fast lens, a very good deal for the price. It's considered to be Nikon's "hidden gem" for a reason. That said:

1) The f/1.4 variant is GOD. Just unbelievable.
2) On a crop body, the effective 85mm focal length rather limits its utility. It's not a good thing to only have a telephoto in your arsenal, so if someone is just starting out and they had to make a choice between either a nice (but not amazingly awesome) prime and a decent but definitely lesser quality zoom that covers a larger focal range (like the 18-135 that came with my D80), I'd say to get the zoom so that wide-angles and normal pictures are even possible to take - then get the prime.

Most reactions

Back