lens help!?!?!

Crobo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, i recently (about a month) purchased a d50 and a 18-55 f3.5( i think)-5.6 kit lens. I just got tired of my point and shoot. and while i am really liking it alot i feel the need to add a telephoto lens to my collection for my upcoming trip to barbados.

I just have a few questions:

what focal range?( or prime)
is the VR worth it?
should i even be looking for a telephoto lens?

thanks in advance and if there is an FAQ here then please point me to it because i could not find it.

Hi, i recently (about a month) purchased a d50 and a 18-55 f3.5( i think)-5.6 kit lens. I just got tired of my point and shoot. and while i am really liking it alot i feel the need to add a telephoto lens to my collection for my upcoming trip to barbados.

is the VR worth it?

thanks in advance and if there is an FAQ here then please point me to it because i could not find it.

What subjects do you want/expect to shoot? the 18-55 will capture and landscape shots you may wish to take and will do as a general purpose lens. VR is certainly worth it IF you need it..... Shooting with a telephoto lens like a 70-200mm, sometimes you can't get the required shutter speed to get a sharp image but VR (or IS that my lenses have) makes handholding at slower shutter speeds much easier.

Regards the lens, only you can decide what type of lens you need. Do you always feel your current lens does not get close enough or wide enough? if so you need to make the choice..... Budget will have a large bearing on what yopu can buy.

is the VR worth it?

VR is worth the extra money but only you can decide what focal-length you want. If you are happy with your lens you have get a zoom to suppliment it may I suggest http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-GREY/Nikon_2161_70_300mm_f_4_5_6G_AF_S_VR.html If you want to replace your wade-angle a good lens might be http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/277219-GREY/Nikon_2145_24_120mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html those are 2 lenses in the mid range and the sky is the limit from there an example might be http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300490-USA/Nikon_2147_17_55mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/274780-USA/Nikon_2139_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html

What subjects do you want/expect to shoot? the 18-55 will capture and landscape shots you may wish to take and will do as a general purpose lens. VR is certainly worth it IF you need it..... Shooting with a telephoto lens like a 70-200mm, sometimes you can't get the required shutter speed to get a sharp image but VR (or IS that my lenses have) makes handholding at slower shutter speeds much easier.

Regards the lens, only you can decide what type of lens you need. Do you always feel your current lens does not get close enough or wide enough? if so you need to make the choice..... Budget will have a large bearing on what yopu can buy.

I will mostly be shooting landscapes, but seeing as how the island i will be goiging to is heavily wooded i wont be able to "zoom with my feet". i dont mind bringing my tripod with me because it is rather light so i guess i dont need the VR.

thanks guys,
Greg

I will mostly be shooting landscapes, but seeing as how the island i will be goiging to is heavily wooded i wont be able to "zoom with my feet". i dont mind bringing my tripod with me because it is rather light so i guess i dont need the VR.

thanks guys,
Greg

Light tripods generally mean poor quality (unless it's a carbon fibre tripod)!

You need a good sturdy tripod when shooting landscapes.

If you need a zoom, consider the 70-200 VR although this may be too expensive. If it is I can't help more as I don't shoot Nikon.

What kind of range are you expecting to need? You might want to consider buying a good prime telephoto lens. Short telephoto? Pick up something in the 85-100mm range. Medium? Anywhere from 150-300mm would be fine. Long telephoto? Consider a 500mm f/8 mirror lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back