Lens hood, for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Garbz! So what kind do you prefer for what situation? Seems like there´s different shapes.

For the Canon, why not try the lens hoods that they recommend for each of the lenses you have. If you check the manuals that come with the lenses, you should find the model number listed.

Mike Jordan, where DIDNT i apprechiate what others where saying? Maybe you didnt want to come across this way but you just sounded like a straight DICK.

:grumpy: perhaps not the most constructive response ever.

Thanks Garbz! So what kind do you perfer for what situation? Seems like there´s different shapes.

Mike Jordan, where DIDNT i apprechiate what others where saying? Maybe you didnt want to come across this way but you just sounded like a straight DICK.

If you want to take it that way, it doesn't bother me. But you asked a question and to me didn't want to hear the answers you were getting. In cases like that, experience is usually the best teacher. If you are asking questions about a lens hood, then it sounds like you need a lot of experience.

Mike

If you want to take it that way, it doesn't bother me. But you asked a question and to me didn't want to hear the answers you were getting. In cases like that, experience is usually the best teacher. If you are asking questions about a lens hood, then it sounds like you need a lot of experience.

Mike

Ahhh... Mike, could you explain me how you are the only one who felt like i didnt apprechiate ther others posts?

Funny, istn it?

Maybe the next time you decide to come off like an arrogant dick, you should think twice.

PS: I looked at your pictures and i dont think you are in any position to give anyone ANY kinda advice. Bad move pal..:thumbdown:

These days, lens hoods are designed by the lens manufacturer with the particular lens optics in mind. So I agree with Chris, go with the specific hood that is made for the lens that you own. I just bought a Canon hood for my new Canon 17-85 IS lens. It's a slightly odd looking thing (to me, used to old fashioned hoods), but I'll get used to it, it fits great both ways around and it works very nicely - minimum bulk for maximum effect without vignetting.

Great photos showing lens flare effect BTW Garbz.

Sincere: I just read you PS above. Sorriest thing I've read on this forum so far, but that's only MO. One thing is clear about you, if you didn't know about lens flare already (as is evident to all) then you're going to need a whole lot of educating when it comes to photography. Like I say, just MO.

Ahhh... Mike, could you explain me how you are the only one who felt like i didnt apprechiate ther others posts?

Funny, istn it?

Maybe the next time you decide to come off like an arrogant dick, you should think twice.

PS: I looked at your pictures and i dont think you are in any position to give anyone ANY kinda advice. Bad move pal..:thumbdown:

That's too funny. You really don't like being critisized do you? Like I said, that's ok with me. And it doesn't bother me that you don't like my pictures. I don't take pictures to please everyone... and really has nothing to do with your not wanting to use a lens hood. But if it makes you feel better to lash out like that, oh well. Like I said, life is the best teacher sometimes. ;)

Mike

Oh please, dont give me that. For the time i have been here and posts i made or even read, i never experienced that someone came off really provocative, arrogant or like a smartass like this guy here, not once.

What does that tell you?

Not that it would have justified anything but then i looked at his "work" and that was just too much. More than ever i felt like this dude has no right to approach me like this so a little taste of his own medicine shouldnt hurt him.

As far as the educational aspect, it didnt know there was a specific order i should have followed.

And you Mike, you still didnt reply where i didnt apprechiate the others posts(you are the only one who claimed that), your "perception" of things is very off once again and with your ignorant ass comments you just proved my point;)

Someone's abilities as a photographer do not give you the right to judge their intelligence, and knowledge on a particular subject, and doing so, you attacked someone personally. It's against forum rules. I don't care how many posts you've made or how long you've been here. YOU flew off the handle.

Hi Sincere,
Someone was trying to help you by giving you the experience they had with a certain situation. YMMV. The main point was they only wanted to help.
:)
The cool and groovy part about this site is all the varied levels of photogs here. For that matter, that's anyplace. We all have those people who could outshoot us.
This thread kinda reminds me of those people who get sued for not rescuing people from car wreck "right".
Peace Man. :)

Someone's abilities as a photographer do not give you the right to judge their intelligence, and knowledge on a particular subject, and doing so, you attacked someone personally.

Hahaha, this is a joke, right?

OK, at this point i REALLY feel disrespected.

Now i am the bad guy? If he would have acted like everyone else does, i wouldnt have acted like this. I didnt deserve to be treated like this.

In addition, i dont need anyone to tell me how i stepped out of line. I know i did, it was intentional. He tried to instigate an agrument by saying i didnt apprechiate what the others where saying.

Hows that? Why dont you comment on that ort all the other things? His way of doing wasnt as direct as mine but the message was the same.

Besides, lets be real here, i didnt start this and that is something you cannot claim.

Please save it for some idiot but not me. This is bull****, theres always two sides to a story, you completely ignored mine so i dont take YOU or anyhting you just said serious;)

Today I was shooting high performance aerobatic aircraft at an air race over San Diego bay ("Red Bull" series, timed circuit of about 1.5 mins total duration), using a new 17-85mm EF-S lens. Many of the shots unfortunately were towards the west/southwest, and it was mid-afternoon. There is a certain amount of flare in some of the photos (not always a bad thing in moderation) but I believe that without the lens hood it would have been much worse. Of course I didn't take photos with the hood off to compare.

Am I right in assuming that the hood that comes with a prime telephoto lens would be much longer and more effective in preventing flare than the hood that comes with a 5X zoom lens (of the same telephoto length), because of the need to avoid vignetting when the zoom lens is used at the shorter focal lengths?

[nice post Elsaspet]

Am I right in assuming that the hood that comes with a prime telephoto lens would be much longer and more effective in preventing flare than the hood that comes with a 5X zoom lens (of the same telephoto length), because of the need to avoid vignetting when the zoom lens is used at the shorter focal lengths?

Absolutely correct. I can see this in the difference between the Canon lens hoods I have for my 18-55mm and 60mm macro lenses. OK, so there's 5mm difference between the max zoom of the kit lens and the macro, but that's minimal. The hoods are significantly different though, as the one for the kit lens has to take account of the 18mm angle of view, as well as the 55mm end of things.

I coulda used a lens hood the other night, I lost a thirtysecond exposure to a passing car.:grumpy: But any way Like most evryone said, it keeps undesired light from entering the lens, be it stadium lights, street lights, sun light or head lights. That stray light may not be present during metering and can cause overexposure.

Thanks Chris. Then let me ask a possibly dumb question (what the hey ....). If you know you're going to be shooting at the max focal length all afternoon, as I was here (I clearly need to get myself a longer lens when shooting small planes at 1/2 mile but this was my first real outing with the standard zoom ......), is there any reason one couldn't attach a longer hood than standard for better flare protection? The hood would have to come off for wider angle work but today it wouldn't have been an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back