Lens hood or not?

You should always use hoods and never take them off.

lens hoods reduce flaring and can protect your front element.... plus they look really cool, especially the petal style hoods.

The only time you shouldn't use the hood is if you are using an on camera strobe. The hood can cast a shadow.

The main fuction of a hood is to reduce lens flare. It's secondary function is the protection it offers your lens objective.

Protection, elimination of flare, and making your lens look far more sexy to members of the opposite sex (or same if you swing that way), all for no loss in image quality?

This one is a no-brainer.

hehe nope but he did use me as a jumping post at one point - or at least my backpack

both - indoor and outdoor you can end up with very little room to move in and then you really need that hood on - because otherwise someones bag, arm, elbow, tree or dirty fingers: DSCF0123 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! are going to get all over your front of your lens glass - then its scratches and cleaning that you don't want!

Oh what a cheeky little fellow you had there!

This is like asking, 'Do I really need to unzip when I pee, can't I just go in my pants? What's the difference?'

I mean really.... :lol:

(not being mean, honest, the question just cracks me up is all)

Most reactions

Back