Lens Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly is there a set of rules on this forum that says that I am not allowed to trash a cretain lens. I really think some of you are a little sensitive that you might have made a mistake in buying a marginally sharp $650 lens but don't step onm my toes because I am trying to help others avoid the same mistake (not in this thread of course).

Honestly, I think it's the delivery here, not the content of your message.

Honestly is there a set of rules on this forum that says that I am not allowed to trash a cretain lens. I really think some of you are a little sensitive that you might have made a mistake in buying a marginally sharp $650 lens but don't step onm my toes because I am trying to help others avoid the same mistake (not in this thread of course).

You obviously are unaware that every zoom lens that has ever existed is a compromise, sacrificing quality for versatility and, depending on the intended usage, some compromises go further than others. If you were truly interested in quality and only quality, you would not own, let alone even use, any zoom lens at all.

I am sorry Mike but as alot of people know I am on a crusade. I did the same thing when I worked at Ritz camera to my own detriment as these types of lenses were often the ones pushed by companies and had the largest amounts of extra commision on them.

I am sorry Mike but as alot of people know I am on a crusade. I did the same thing when I worked at Ritz camera to my own detriment as these types of lenses were often the ones pushed by companies and had the largest amounts of extra commision on them.

Clerking at Ritz does not qualify you as an optics engineer any more than filling balloons at the county fair makes one a rocket scientist. However, even if you are an optics engineer, your opinion regarding the lens (and it is only an opinion) is not the issue. Your attitude regarding the opinions of others is the issue.

As a matter of habit, I use my hoods. When employing a CPL, I will make the adjustments to the filter and then replace the hood on the lens. But then sometimes I fiddle with the CPL when the hood is on. On the "big" lenses, the hood is attached behind the filter threads though, so it's just a matter of fingerprints.

In any event, the hood does not mount on the filter threads and it's quite difficult rotating the polarizer when the hood is attached. Right now, it appears that I may have to adjust the polarizer with the hood removed and then attach the hood prior to taking the photo, which is not exactly convenient.

I've never done it BUT I've seen people who used a dremel tool to cut a slot just large enough to allow their thumb to turn the polarizer. Make sure the slot ends up on the bottom of the lens. I believe the newer Pentax hoods on their AF lenses have a plastic removable part that allows for the adjustment of circular polarizers.

Another thing you can do is use the old fashioned collapsable rubber hoods that can make access to the polarizer quick.

pushed by companies and had the largest amounts of extra commision on them.

More than the Promaster or Quantaray Lenses???

Honestly... there are many levels of quality with in the lines of lenses.... none of the main branded glass are ssooooooo awful that one should actually go through the trouble of launching a crusade against them.

You are more than welcome to take your crusade to the front door of you local Ritz.

As a matter of habit, I use my hoods. When employing a CPL, I will make the adjustments to the filter and then replace the hood on the lens. But then sometimes I fiddle with the CPL when the hood is on. On the "big" lenses, the hood is attached behind the filter threads though, so it's just a matter of fingerprints.

I believe that, depending circumstances, I'll do one of three things:

1. Use the hood with no polarizer.
2. Use the polarizer with no hood.
3. Use both with your technique.

I've never done it BUT I've seen people who used a dremel tool to cut a slot just large enough to allow their thumb to turn the polarizer. Make sure the slot ends up on the bottom of the lens. I believe the newer Pentax hoods on their AF lenses have a plastic removable part that allows for the adjustment of circular polarizers.

Another thing you can do is use the old fashioned collapsable rubber hoods that can make access to the polarizer quick.

I don't think that I want to go that far. See my response to Kundalini (above).

More than the Promaster or Quantaray Lenses???

Honestly... there are many levels of quality with in the lines of lenses.... none of the main branded glass are ssooooooo awful that one should actually go through the trouble of launching a crusade against them.

You are more than welcome to take your crusade to the front door of you local Ritz.

I just reread his post. I think that Ritz fired him. My guess is that he insulted customers.

That's enough of the childish behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back