lens hood???

Oavatos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, i just bought the D70 kit and with the lens that came with it was I think what is called a lens hood...???what is this and why do u put it on the lens.....now that ive gotten one myself i see them all the time on lenses on the tv when im watching say E! or the local or national news and see the press or paparazzi.....

Lens hood = lens shade. It's meant to shade the front of your lens, preventing or reducing flare.

As a kid, I always put the hood on... I thought it made my camera look better.

i ALWAYS use mine (on my S5500) except for close up flash photography for the ismple reason that it makes the camera look so much better, and because i do need the hood on sometimes, but mainly because it makes the camera look better ()the zoom looks terrible with the camera on)

Besides dealing with lens flare (which is important enough that I always use a lens hood), the lens hood can offer some protection to the end of the lens, and it'll keep some snow and rain off the glass.

Good points have been made above - one thing to add: they are especially great for rock concerts and night photography when lighting is low and you're relying on an accurate meter reading with no ambient leakage.

Most reactions

Back