Lens Hood??

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing some research into my first dSLR and I was wondering how necessary a lens hood is. I've looked around and see different types, different materials so I guess my question is how the hood impacts the final picture, if it only affects the pic if the sun is in frame and is there any difference in materials if it's plastic/metal/etc (besides the beating it can withstand).

If the sun is in the frame, a hood won't help much...but when the sun isn't in the frame...you don't want stray light messing up your shot.

A hood can really make a difference in the right situation. Stray light can cause a lack of contrast and saturation...lens flare etc.

A good solid hood will also protect your lens from bashing into things.

You have to make sure you get a hood that is right for the lens. If the hood is not wide enough, you will get vignetting...darkening of the outsides (corners first) of you image where the hood blocks the lens.

Big Mike said:
If the sun is in the frame, a hood won't help much...but when the sun isn't in the frame...you don't want stray light messing up your shot.

A hood can really make a difference in the right situation. Stray light can cause a lack of contrast and saturation...lens flare etc.

A good solid hood will also protect your lens from bashing into things.

You have to make sure you get a hood that is right for the lens. If the hood is not wide enough, you will get vignetting...darkening of the outsides (corners first) of you image where the hood blocks the lens.

Exackatickly.

Let me answer the Q with a Q. Would you buy a $25,000.00 car for $24,000.00 without bumpers?

Most every lens hood I have has at least anick somewhere. All my lenses are pristine...my $0.02, YMMV.

LWW

I would like to add that you don't necessairly have to buy "branded" hoods either. There are several manufacturers that make and sells hoods. Hoods are usefull but not always needed. They are not a must have if you are on a budget. But if you have just a little bit they are a wise choice. I am particular to softer rubber type hoods. But I do have both. Hard plastic and rubber based ones, name brand and cheap china ones. You can also make your own if handy. I have been known to make one out of cardboard and tape when the need came up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back