lens hoods - can someone show me (or direct me to a link)...

jerseygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
...examples of photos taken with a hood as compared to without?

i am wondering if this is something i need :confused:

thanks!

Here is something you can try yourself, without a hood and see the difference. Go outside on a sunny day and aim your camera at something...shooting toward the sun but not right at the sun. Look into the viewfinder...then with your other hand, block out the direct sunlight hitting the lens. Notice the difference? It should have more contrast and any lens flare may disappear. That is what a hood does for you. Sure, not every shots is with the sun on the lens like that...but the idea is the same...it keeps unwanted light from polluting your image. Also, hard hoods also offer protection for the front of the lens.

And if you just want to try it with a lens hood, make one out of paper. Here's a site that has a ton of PDF files you can print out, fold, and make a lens hood.

Consider that lenses are designed by the manufacturer to be used with the right lens hood. While not using a hood may not affect the image enough to see in some situations, in general they reduce lens flare, increase contrast, and increase color saturation. They can also add some protection. Using lens hoods is a pretty easy habit to get used to.

And if you just want to try it with a lens hood, make one out of paper. Here's a site that has a ton of PDF files you can print out, fold, and make a lens hood.

Thanks for the link JPB. This sure will beat using my hand to block out the sun :D

Most reactions

Back