Lens hoods

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently made myself a diy lens hood ( Free printable cardboard lens hoods ) and was wondering - why? I understand that it's useful for stopping flare/glare/whatever from the sun, but why would I need it otherwise?

or do I? Is there any reason to use it indoors, or in a controlled lighting situation?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm just starting with accessories.

Lens hood was designed for blocking side light from hitting the front lens element. And those side light may reduce the contrast of your photos.

However, a lot of people use it as a lens protection. (like a bumper).

Also, some lens hood make the lens look very cool. It turn a amateur photographer into a Pro instantly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

^^^
Yeah, isn't the "cool factor" reason enough to use one? :lol:

On a day to day thing as far as protection, I think it's helped me alot in avoiding touching the front of lens by accident. I noticed I have way more fingerprints when I don't have the hood on. I've never dropped a lens so I can't speak for major accidents..

However like mentioned above...with that hood on especially with the canon 24-70 2.8L it does get some attention...lens envy ;) LOL

Like others I use my hoods not only to protect against stray light but also for protection. It's not just grubby fingers, its twigs, branches, wire, doorframes, pets, lemurs, heck just about anything can come into contact with your front glass and a lot can be pushed gently aside by the hood.

3372256987_2c3bdd8f70.jpg

I much prefer the "proper" hoods, that is stiffer plastics and other materials as opposed to card, card is a good light stopper, but for protection its a bit weaker and likley to need replacing every so often (its also rather pointless in rain - oh yah hoods are good rain protectors too)

Was the lemur trying to steal your hood?

However like mentioned above...with that hood on especially with the canon 24-70 2.8L it does get some attention...lens envy ;) LOL

Bwahahaha. I love the hood on mine. It's there for a reason you know, and the reasoning is very, very good (it goes hand-in-hand with the reverse zoom).

I wouldn't use a card, ever. Just buy the darn hood. It's better quality, and cut to the correct size for your lens, which in and of itself makes it superior. (And I too love having a hood for protection from the rain. Another big benefit of the deep hood on the 24-70 is that when you're at 70, rain is not very likely to get on the front element.)

I have hit my camera into things on a few occasions and been ever so thankful for my lenshood! lol

But yes, it also helps prevent light from falling on the lens

Bwahahaha. I love the hood on mine. It's there for a reason you know, and the reasoning is very, very good (it goes hand-in-hand with the reverse zoom).

I wouldn't use a card, ever. Just buy the darn hood. It's better quality, and cut to the correct size for your lens, which in and of itself makes it superior. (And I too love having a hood for protection from the rain. Another big benefit of the deep hood on the 24-70 is that when you're at 70, rain is not very likely to get on the front element.)

Absolutely, great design with the reverse focus resulting in the app of a stationary hood. Has to be one of my favorite lens.

Rarely do I expose my equipment to the elements...so I'm actually learning alot of things about what you guys go through during a shoot...I see percipitation I cover up my equipment like a baby with a cold. I've shot a wedding once before where it rained but we manage to finish the shoot indoors.

But I still can't get over the lemurs LOL..

The 24-70 holds-up very well to the rain. So does the 580EXII. I used both of them in the pouring rain recently (and I mean an absolute, torrential downpour), and everything survived. Didn't have to wipe the front element too often because of the deep hood, but it was understandably worse when I was shooting wide. A little dust or dirt got into the lens (I heard grinding sounds when I turned the zoom ring after), but that's probably because it wasn't on a weather-sealed body, and besides which I think the gears ground whatever it was to a fine dust (can't hear anything anymore, and it's as smooth as before). The lens is still pristine. o_O

Most reactions

Back