Lens hoods?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Mole, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Mole

Mole TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When do you use a lens hood? Only outdoors in the daylight or all the time?

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

All the time. Not only does it shade the front element but it protects the lens as well. Why would you remove it?

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly, that and UV filters. If you bump the lens up against something, it protects the front element.

4. Mole

Mole TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks thats the answer I was looking for. None of my lens's have one so (all have filters though) I just wanted to know how important they were. I knew they were good for outdoors but wasn't too sure about indoors and low light conditions.

5. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have a lens hood for each of my lenses but i rarely use them.
    both lenses have a filter attached that is very rarely removed - a polarizer.

I find that using a hood is a pain with a polarizer because it can't be rotated with a hood in the way.

Am i missing an easy way to do it or do you guys have an easy way of rotating a filter at the bottom of a hood??

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, depends on the size of your fingers ;)

but i agree it can be a pain and you always have to be careful not to touch your filter then.

I think canon hoods for example have a fair amount of space to rotated the polarizer (not really comfty, but ok-ish).. lens hoods form sigma at least to me appear much less ergonomic (but often more sturdy)

7. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

I'm new to this, so this may sound stupid, but if the hood shades the front element, doesn't it in some cases darken the scene?

what about the idea that an UV filter is glass of lesser quality than your lens. Why - if you're careful ofcourse - should you put that in front of your lens?

pascal

8. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To the first question... your hood actually doesnt effect the light at the subject unless the subject is inside the hood... what it DOES do is add more contrast to shots where there is strong ambient light from above, it also stops stray light rays from hitting the front element from off angles which reduces sunspots...

To the second question... if you buy decent UV filters you will not notice any serious degration of the image... although where it CAN hurt you is when you are shooting into headlights or other lights... when I shoot my railroad photography I tend to remove the filters since it causes ghosting of the headlights...

9. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

thanx orgnoi1..:thumbup:

pascal

10. stumpfoot

stumpfoot TPF Noob!

I just bought a hood (my first) and it has a duel thread, I am assuming the first to attach to the lense and the other to attach filters. Cant you just put the filter on first (lets talk polarizers) then the hood, and then you can easily turn the filter. I am new to hoods so please correct me if I'm wrong (it's the only way to learn!)

11. teishu

teishu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have to take mine off when using flash else i get a big shadow on my pics..

12. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Time to get that flash away from the lens. Nothing worse that a flash near the lens.