Lens: Nikon vs Sigma vs Tamron

Its a FACT that Sigma builds some very nice and very sharp lenses. The build quality of the EX line is top notch and the HSM motors are very fast. They also have a long warranty and if you do happen to get a so-called "bad copy", exchange it or have it fixed.

No matter what you choose, all 3 models will be an improvement over the kit lenses.

Sigma 70-200:
Bottom line... yuck!

You must have a really deep hatred for the Sigma lens. I've seen you put it down quite a few times when this same question comes up. I don't know if you just had a bad version or what, but I own one, and from my own experiences, none of that is true.

I have no hate for ANY brand of lens, and since a good 50% of the lenses I use *are* Sigma, that comment is not true at all. :)

Use the Sigma by itself, and it looks ok... because you don't place them side by side with the same picture, you cannot really see how much lower a quality of shot that Sigma 70-200 really has. It is basically day and night. I would not have said it myself until I saw the differences with my own eyes. I also discovered that there were a few more differences between the Nikkor 80-200 and 70-200 than I realized in real life usage.

There were a couple of Sigma 70-200s there and I was using the one that was considered the "better" of the two and it was a replacement lens because the first one was, in the words of the owner "terrible". He too was *very* happy until he used the Nikkor 70-200. I invite you to take your camera to a local shop and try it out yourself. Posting a couple low res pics for the internet of one of the 2 lenses is hardly a fair way to compare. I invite you to do the same thing I did... hold both in your hands side by side and compare your own results.

All I did here, was post my own experiences, and we are all free to accept or toss the value of my experience. :)

Its a FACT that Sigma builds some very nice and very sharp lenses. The build quality of the EX line is top notch and the HSM motors are very fast. They also have a long warranty and if you do happen to get a so-called "bad copy", exchange it or have it fixed.

I agree that they make some great lenses. I own the 10-20mm UWA, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-50 macro, 105mm 2.8 prime, 30mm 1.4 prime... *all* Sigma lenses, and each one excellent, but Sigma does have a reputation of releasing poor quality lenses as well and research does need to be done. The 18-50 is a perfect example... Sigma release no less than *3* versions of this lens and only the last one is good (matter of fact, it is so good, it is world class and beat out the $1500 Nikkor 17-55 in 3 independant photomagazine shootouts!), the first two are literally garbage.

Based on what I saw, I feel the 70-200 falls into the class of "wait to check out the next version, becuase this is a lens that needs a lot of work before it is close to competitive, becaise the results are poor compared to the competitors" class.

I invite you to take your camera to a local shop and try it out yourself. Posting a couple low res pics for the internet of one of the 2 lenses is hardly a fair way to compare. I invite you to do the same thing I did... hold both in your hands side by side and compare your own results.

I have to be honest, I probably shouldn't. I'm content with the quality of those images until I can afford to upgrade to something better. Like I said, I'm on a college budget and I'm getting married next summer. Comparing them side-by-side, especially if I do it after buying the Sigma, is simply going to make me discontent. And since I can't afford the Nikon, why do that to myself? Call me ignorant but I have to do what I HAVE to do until I can afford to do what I WANT to do.

Besides, I'm not shooting professionally so what does it matter for now?

I have to be honest, I probably shouldn't. I'm content with the quality of those images until I can afford to upgrade to something better. Like I said, I'm on a college budget and I'm getting married next summer. Comparing them side-by-side, especially if I do it after buying the Sigma, is simply going to make me discontent. And since I can't afford the Nikon, why do that to myself? Call me ignorant but I have to do what I HAVE to do until I can afford to do what I WANT to do.

Besides, I'm not shooting professionally so what does it matter for now?

This is a 100% valid comment. Ignorance is bliss. And I mean that in a good way. There is a 95% chance that you'll be totally satisfied with the Sigma and never even think of upgrading. My advice is don't read the forums.....it makes for a happier photographer. Its so easy to get caught up in reading and lusting for the best gear out there. When 90% of your image quality is you and your ability to control/manipulate light.

If cash is tight, its not even a question on what to get. There is nothing wrong with being responsible with your money and getting a third party lens. And it doesn't detract from the fun you'll have shooting pictures.

Now, in Jerry's defense....the nikon is likely better......BUT it comes with a price that not everyone is willing to pay.

Hooboy. If you're not able to pull exceptional images out of the overqualified excellent Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 - then something is the matter with you. If you NEED the "comfort" of Nikon pro (re: expensive) glass so that you "know" your images are sharp - by all means.

I bought the AF-D version of the Nikon, and couldn't be happier; however if I had seen a Sigma 70-200 for a decent price, I would have been all over that damn thing.

This is not a knock on Nikon, or the "pros" that use the expensive glass. Just a counter weight to the madness that seems prevalent in this thread. Put a Sigma in the hands of someone that actually knows how to use it - magic happens.

Most reactions

Back