Lens Photoshoot

skiboarder72

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshjonesphoto.com
I love my 10-20mm but I needed something besides my 50mm f1.8 to balance out the other focal lengths in my lens collection. I've been shooting with the craptastic 18-55 kit lens for long enough and I decided I've made it to the point where I could really appreciate some better glass. So I went into rowe photo (our local photo place) the other day to check out the new D300 (so tempting) and ended up playing around with the 18-200mm DX VR lens they had there. The guy I was talking to just happened to bring up that he just took a slightly used one in on trade and he would be willing to take several hundred dollars off. To cut a long story short I ended up walking outta there with an $800 lens for $480+tax.

I've been looking at the 18-200mm VR f3.5-5.6 and sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lenses for awhile because, IMO, they represent very high quality at just about all focal lengths, and won't slaughter my bank account doing so.

After playing with the new lens for a few days, I can say it was worth every penny! This lens has the second generation of nikon's vibration reduction on it, which is advertised to give roughly 4 stops of light. The lens focus's extremly fast and gives me the ability to shoot in a lot more situations at a low ISO. Some of the shot's i've made with this lens normally would have to be taken with ISO 1600, but now I can shoot them at ISO 400, which gives a lot better results. Just as an example I took a picture of a sign indoors at ISO 400, at 135mm, f5.6, at 1/13th shutter with no blur. The glass isn't tremendously fast, but the VR more than makes up for it, at least with stationary objects, VR (or canon's similar IS) doesn't make moving objects "freeze."

Ok enough yapping, heres some pictures of it... i'm still waiting to get some really good quality pictures with it but I'll post those when I get them.

dsc0006vg6.jpg

dsc0010nd8.jpg

dsc0007bj6.jpg

dsc0014yd6.jpg

dsc0002tr9.jpg

Well that is a sexy lens and all I don't know if I would have spent that much time on a photo shoot for it, but hey who knows maybe nikon needs some more pictures for their brochures, they did all turn out nice

Heh, I would love to pick up that lens... I might save up for it so i wouldnt have to have the 18-55, and then a 50-200.

Most reactions

Back