Lens purchase--if you have these lens what do you think of them??

BHE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am getting ready to make some lens purchases and am looking for some feedback before I make the jump. If you have either of these lens would you please let me know how you like them and if you would recommend them or another lens.

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF Lens for Nikon AF
Tamron SP 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Nikon Digital Cameras

I'm also adding this: ExpoImaging ExpoDisc 77mm Neutral White Balance Filter for Digital Cameras.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

BTW--I have a Nikon D80 with 18-135 kit lens.

Last edited:
umm what do you think you'll be shooting at? the 10-24mm seems kindda slow... well, depends on what you want to do.

umm what do you think you'll be shooting at? the 10-24mm seems kindda slow... well, depends on what you want to do.

Will be shooting landscapes, cityscapes, and portraits.

Is there a different lens you would recommend?

If you're shooting landscapes, you'll probably be using a tripod anyway (?), so the lens should be plenty fast.

Will be shooting landscapes, cityscapes, and portraits.

Is there a different lens you would recommend?
The Tamron SP 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Nikon Digital Cameras will be fine for landscapes and maybe cityscapes. I wouldn't use it for portraits.

For portraits I would suggest a good prime lens between 50mm and 100mm. Will you be using studio lighting? Or will you be doing more natural light portraits?

Tamron SP 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Nikon Digital Cameras

I reccommend you buy a Sigma 10-20mm instead.

why the sigma over the tamron wide angle?

I reccommend you buy a Sigma 10-20mm instead.
The Tamron 10-24 is a new lens so it hasn't been proven yet, while the Sigma 10-20 has been around for a few years and gets rave reviews (despite being one of the slowest ultra-wide zooms out there). Check out flickr.com for pics taken with the 10-20 and a (more or less speculative) discussion of the Tamron 10-24:

Flickr: The Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC Pool

Flickr: Discussing Tamron 10-24 in Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC

The Tamron 10-24 is a new lens so it hasn't been proven yet, while the Sigma 10-20 has been around for a few years and gets rave reviews (despite being one of the slowest ultra-wide zooms out there). Check out flickr.com for pics taken with the 10-20 and a (more or less speculative) discussion of the Tamron 10-24:

I would agree the Tamron 10-24 hasn't been proven yet, but that is only because it is new. I have read several positive reviews of the lens. I also had it on my camera yesterday at the store and it is a well made lens. It also appears to take sharp pictures (although, I was limited to in store photos).

Most reactions

Back