Lens purchase question

snyderes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to buy a new Nikon camera, probably a D750. I have a few older lenses that I have been told would probably work for the time being, but I'm sure I will want something newer with the newest technology. I want to consider a few new lenses to buy. I dont want to be sorry in a year or so that I didnt get something better, so I want something good, when I do buy, and will hopefully last me a long time. I have been reading several reviews, and watching reviews on youtube. I really liked 3 lenses in particular. The last review of them at the very end said they would not work on a D750. (FX body)
They are:
"Nikon Nikkor AF-S 12-24 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom"
"Nikon Nikkor AF-S 24-70 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom"
"Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-200 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom"

I know they are expensive, I would probably only buy one at a time. I may purchase the in the middle or one similar to it one in the beginning. Is it true these wont work on the D750? If not, how do I know which ones will work ? Confused....

Thanks for any help or input

Those three zooms together represent Nikon's current, high-end "Holy Trinity" of professional-grade zoom lenses. Those lenses are very high-grade, fully compatible lenses. They will function perfectly on ALL Nikon d-slr cameras ever made.

When choosing a system, I go the exact opposite of what you seem to be doing. First I chose what I will be using the system for, then I chose the best glass that will fit that purpose, then I choose a body that will fit the glass and that will please me ergonomically.

From that perspective, it would be next to impossible to offer any kind of sensical suggestion considering we don't even know what the system will be used for.

Those three zooms together represent Nikon's current, high-end "Holy Trinity" of professional-grade zoom lenses. Those lenses are very high-grade, fully compatible lenses. They will function perfectly on ALL Nikon d-slr cameras ever made.

Derrel,
Isn't the "AF-S 12-24 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom " a DX lens
Thus the only one that "wouldn't work" on the d750, per say

isn't the trinity UWA FX the 14-24/2.8 ? (14 not 12)

other than that the 24-70 and 70-200 are the top of the line FX/FF lenses and would work fine on the d750.

Last edited:
Q: Will be buying the D750 as a "body only" or with a kit lens (e.g. with Nikon's 24-120mm f/4 lens?)

If you are getting a "body only" and can only afford one of those three lenses, then you'll probably need to start with the 24-70mm f/2.8 because that will get you a working standard zoom with a bit of wide angle as well as mild telephoto and good for most general shooting situations.)

But depending on what you really want to do with it, if you get the camera with the kit lens (24-120) instead of body-only, then I'd probably get the 70-200mm f/2.8 first.

I'm not a Nikon shooter (I shoot Canon) but as far as focal length's I tend to leave the 70-200mm on the camera and then switch to the 24-70 as needed. I prefer the longer focal lengths whenever I can get away with it... even for taking shots that you might normally associate with a normal focal length (such as a portrait) I prefer the look of using a long focal length and a low focal ratio to create the background blur -- it'll be much stronger than what you could achieve with the 24-70mm focal lens.

But the problem with the 70-200 is you can find yourself in tight situations where 70mm is just too longer for shooting indoors in a small room and I also find that at some events, if I use a long 200mm focal length and walk back to get my subject framed... invariably someone will step in the way of my shot. So I have to be close just to control the passers-by.

While I own extremely wide-angle lenses, I tend to not use them very much. My 70-200 is probably the most-used lens among my gear.

I am going to buy a new Nikon camera, probably a D750. I have a few older lenses that I have been told would probably work for the time being, but I'm sure I will want something newer with the newest technology. I want to consider a few new lenses to buy. I dont want to be sorry in a year or so that I didnt get something better, so I want something good, when I do buy, and will hopefully last me a long time. I have been reading several reviews, and watching reviews on youtube. I really liked 3 lenses in particular. The last review of them at the very end said they would not work on a D750. (FX body)
They are:
"Nikon Nikkor AF-S 12-24 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom"
"Nikon Nikkor AF-S 24-70 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom"
"Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-200 mm F /2.8 G ED zoom"

I know they are expensive, I would probably only buy one at a time. I may purchase the in the middle or one similar to it one in the beginning. Is it true these wont work on the D750? If not, how do I know which ones will work ? Confused....

Thanks for any help or input
a D750 (and d600, d610, d700, d800/e/810, d4 etc) are considered Full Frame (aka FF or FX) cameras. Which have a sensor equivalent to the 35mm film camera you are using.

The Nikon d3x00, d5x00, d7x00 series, such as a d5500 have what is called a DX or "crop" sensor which is smaller than a FF/FX sensor. Lenses that are specific to the crop cameras are labeled "DX" somewhere in their name.

whereas FF/FX lenses have NO identification that they are for FF/FX cameras, probably because they are backwards compatible (and old ones forward compatible) before they made digital crop cameras.

It's not that DX lenses won't work on a FF body. It's just compatibility of a Full Image on the FF image sensor. So, per say, DX lenses won't work on FF bodies to provide a FF image.

Thus make sure any lens you look at is not identified as a "DX" lens.

This identification is for Nikon only. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina etc all have their own specific "DX" nomenclature.

You are correct.... the first lens is 14mm, not 12mm

As metioned before, the three lenses you mention are the "Holy Trinity" of current Nikon lenses and will all perform excellent, however depending on the type of captures you take.

Landscape and architecture will benefit from the wide angle 14-24
Portrait and all purpose by the mid range 24-70
Sports, wildlife and portrait from the 70-200

So it really depends on what other lenses you have, as well as what type of photography you do.
If you do all of the above mentioned types and want to start with one lens, then take the 24-70 (probably you end up buying at least a second lens)

Btw: Tamron has a similar range, but less expensive even so not exactly as good as the Nikon lenses, they will be fine for non-professionals

Last edited:
As metioned before, the three lenses you mention are the "Holy Trinity" of current Nikon lenses and will all perform excellent, however depending on the type of captures you take.

Landscape and architecture will benefit from the wide angle 14-24
Portrait and all purpose by the mid range 24-70
Sports, wildlife and portrait from the 70-200

So it really depends on what other lenses you have, as well as what type of photography you do.
If you do all of the above mentioned types and want to start with one lens, then take the 24-70 (probably you end up buying at least a second lens)

Btw: Tamron has a similar range, but less expensive even so not exactly as good as the Nikon lenses, they will be fine for non-professionals

Thanks for the info. one of the video reviews on youtube talked about the "holy trinity ". But the last one on Nikon lenses said these lenses wouldnt work on a FX body camera. I didnt think that sounded right. I take alot of wildlife photos now.... I have a cabin in northcentral Pa., and like to photograph the wild elk herd. But I want to be able to take a broad range of pictures. So, I will probably start with the 70-200.

Thanks for the info. one of the video reviews on youtube talked about the "holy trinity ". But the last one on Nikon lenses said these lenses wouldnt work on a FX body camera. I didnt think that sounded right. I take alot of wildlife photos now.... I have a cabin in northcentral Pa., and like to photograph the wild elk herd. But I want to be able to take a broad range of pictures. So, I will probably start with the 70-200.
It probably said that it wouldn't work with DX body camera (not FX).

I have the similar Holy Trinity in Canon glass and have found that there is virtually no time (with the exception of the safety of the lens) that they will not fill my needs. Expensive yes. Work horses that will last years and do the job...YES. If you can afford it, go for it.

It probably said that it wouldn't work with DX body camera (not FX).

I went and watched it for the 3rd time. He did say that they would not work with the FX body. I believe he was mistaken, because I have received overwhelmingly response that all say it would be a great set of lenses. You can see the video at : it is 9 minutes and 15 seconds into the video where he says it. Thank You for your help.

He starts talking about "DX" lenses at 8:55 and continues on when he says those (DX) will not work on FX cameras D3, D700 etc .. This video was from 2009 so it doesn't have all the newer FX bodies in his commentary.

But those 3 lenses will work just fine with a D750.

You have identified a great set of three lenses. So first I would pick up the camera and the kit zoom (24-120mm f/4) and spend a good month or two with that learning the camera and trying out some of your old lenses.

The kit lens can then be a backup or just for when a smaller package is needed as you add those big f/2.8 lenses.

You have identified a great set of three lenses. So first I would pick up the camera and the kit zoom (24-120mm f/4) and spend a good month or two with that learning the camera and trying out some of your old lenses.

The kit lens can then be a backup or just for when a smaller package is needed as you add those big f/2.8 lenses.

Thank You

Most reactions

Back