Lens quality question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by kelox, Mar 28, 2005.

1. kelox

kelox TPF Noob!

Coming to you live from Planet MAXXUM, home of the
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am looking to get a couple of lenses in the very near future to go on a Maxxum 7D. I know that you get what you pay for, but for use in the desert what would you folks recommend, keeping in mind that I don't plan on spending a hugh amount of money on these lenses to be used here. I have seen the following manufacturers and would like anyone/everyone's opinion on them.
    Sigma, Tamron, Phoenix, vivitar, Tokina, and of course Konica Minolta.

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I'll receive. :wink:

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have to judge each lens on it's own, not the brand name on the label. Every manufacturer makes gems and dogs. Pick a specific model lens, and search for reviews on the internet, or ask about it on this forum.

3. kelox

kelox TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, that's just what I've done. I would like to know what anyone thinks of these two deals at Adorama. The first is a Sigma 18mm - 50mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Zoom DC Aspherical Lens for Minolta Maxxum Digital SLR Cameras for $139. The second is Sigma Digital Twin Zoom Kit with 18mm - 50mm f/3.5-5.6 Super-Wide Angle & 55mm - 200mm f/4.0-5.6 Telephoto AF Zoom Lenses for Minolta Maxxum Digital SLR Cameras for $239. Let me know what you think, anybody.

4. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have two sigma lenses (28mm 2.8 and 70-210mm 3.5) and i am very happy with them.

5. kelox

kelox TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've also found this deal at Ritz's website; Sigma - Two Lens Zoom Kit with 28-80 & 70-300 plus Gadget Bag for Minolta AF for $229. Two lenses plus a bag. I have noticed the difference in the lenses. Is that a big deal to someone looking to get a couple of starter lenses or would either set be fine? I guess what I'm asking is are these sets geared towards a specific task or are they good general all around use lenses? thanks for all the input so far guys.