lens question for d300

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a d300 with the 18-200mm vr lens and must say i'm quite pleased with all the results i get, but i know they could be better as far as image quality is concerned. if i were to get the 14-24mm nikkor, would i notice a large difference? i know this is an expensive lens designed more for full frame cameras, but i'm willing to spend that much on it since it is fully compatible with the d700 and d3, which leaves more options open in the future if i were to decide and upgrade. i'm having trouble trying to decide on getting this lens, or the 12-24mm nikkor since its around 600 dollars cheaper. another consideration would be the 17-55mm nikkor. what do you guys think would be the best lens to go with? i'm fine with 18mm being the widest focal length my lens goes to, so anything wider is a plus.

If you're fine with 18mm as your wide end, than I'd look to getting a better piece of glass for your main lens; the 17-55 has gotten decent reviews, but the 24-70 f2.8 is an absolutely outstanding piece of glass. I would suggest that this, in conjunction with the f4 12-24 will do about 90% of your work, unless you're someone who does a LOT of telephoto work. The 18-200 is, from what I've seen and read, a decent consumer-grade lens, with reports of widely varying quality. It's in my opinion, too versatile, that is, they've tried to make one tool do too many things. I refer to it as the "McGyver" lens.

If you're fine with 18mm as your wide end, than I'd look to getting a better piece of glass for your main lens; the 17-55 has gotten decent reviews, but the 24-70 f2.8 is an absolutely outstanding piece of glass. I would suggest that this, in conjunction with the f4 12-24 will do about 90% of your work, unless you're someone who does a LOT of telephoto work. The 18-200 is, from what I've seen and read, a decent consumer-grade lens, with reports of widely varying quality. It's in my opinion, too versatile, that is, they've tried to make one tool do too many things. I refer to it as the "McGyver" lens.

i never do any kind of telephoto work really. i mess around sometimes with it but i never go anywhere with the intent to take pictures of wildlife or anything at a distance. i love wide angle lenses though, and even though 24 isn't very wide on a crop sensor that's still a pretty good focal length in my book.

the 14-24 and the 24-70 are in the same price range though if i'm not mistaken, and if i'd be spending that much money i'd almost rather go with the wider of the two.

If you like your wide angles this is a no-brainer. The 18-200 is a nasty consumer superzoom, the 14-24 is a fine piece of professional glass.

Image quality, coatings, aperture, handling, durability, and all that asside have a look at the distortion figures at 18mm. No prizes for guessing which one is the 14-24mm

18mm_distortion.png

18mm_distortion.png

taken from the reviews at www.photozone.de

the 17-55 2.8 is a good lens but i think its not really needed. I suggest you get the. 14-24 2.8 / 24-70 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 :D only 3 lens you'll ever need IMO. plus they are all FX capable lenses. But thats just my 2 cents pretty sure others differ.

then once you get really rich get the *cough* 200-400 2.8 *cough*

hah yeah, if life was perfect i would have all those lenses by now. but like what you pointed out, i really like the 14-24 because it's fx capable, so i could easily upgrade to a d700 or d3 in a few years

I have the 17-55 with my D300 and love it! Very sharp and contrasty images. They are getting cheaper and cheaper used nowadays since everyone is selling them for FF lenses. But on the other hand I say buy the 14-24 since it is a FF lens and since you'll be upgrading to a FF camera anyways, why not?

I like my 12-24mm f/4 on the D300 or D80. I also have the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm f/2.8's. Makes for a nice range.

No suggestions for upgrading to FF other than if I upgrade to FF, it will be the D700 and I can still use my DX lenses in the short term, but would eventually stock up on FX lenses.

Just my 2¢.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back