lens question/help?

dantambok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm getting the
canon 70-200mm f/2.8 USM L
or
canon 70-200mm f/4 IS USM
I'll be shooting some sports with them...

I want to ask for some advice as well as some pros and cons of these lenses :sexywink:

From everything Ive heard the 70-200 F4 IS USM is great. As far as sports the IS will not help with stopping action but the F2.8 will. I have the F2.8 IS version and its a great lens but soft at F2.8 and sharpens up at F4. If sports is your primary goal get the F2.8 (it should also focus faster depending on camera model).

For field sports the 200 mm focal length is not enough, so neither will do all sports, just some sports.

I believe the "L" signifies it's Canon's professional series lens. And you would be better off with the faster lens if you have the money to get it.

The only advice I can give is the better the lens the potential for better photos is there.

And what KmH said is true, 200 mm is not far reaching enough depending on how large the sports playing field is.

I am right there with you on these two lenses, I am suprised no one has told you to get the 2.8 IS! Thats what I heard from everyone! It's quite a bit more and exceeding the budget a little. I find that when I am shooting sports I am constantly supported by something, a fence, wall, kneeling, sitting in the front row of the bleachers, most of the time I don't think the IS is doing much for me. I would probably go with the 2.8, especially if they are indoor shots. You may utilize more light more than the stabilization. Just my thoughts.

If you are shooting outdoor sports I'd go with the 100-400L, or at least get the 2x tele-converter to accompany the 70-200 f/2.8L is M2. I have the 70-200 f/2.8 M2 and while it is a great lens, I don't think I'll be getting any sports shots without the TC attached, not enough reach.

I own the 70-200 2.8 without IS but it still is great if you are shooting sports, not to mention you will more than likely be shooting a high shutter and the IS wont be doing to much for you.

Most reactions

Back